Re: [ISN] U.S. to Curb Computer Access by Foreigners

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Mon Mar 11 2002 - 00:42:34 PST

    Forwarded from: Elyn Wollensky <elynat_private>

    > http://www.latimes.com/templates/misc/printstory.jsp?slug=la%2D030702ban

    > Experts said barring foreign nationals from certain computer
    > projects opens the prospect that key jobs will go unfilled because
    > of a shortage of qualified citizens--a situation exacerbated by the
    > relatively small number of U.S. students who pursue advanced
    > technology degrees. Costs may also rise sharply as higher-paid U.S.
    > citizens replace foreign workers.

    <snip>

    > Even Richard A. Clarke, top cyber-security advisor to President
    > Bush, views the restrictions as a misguided priority.

    <snip>

    > "In general, trying to restrict the [information technology]
    > professional that we use to American citizens is not going to be an
    > effective approach," Clarke said. "The United States does not
    > produce enough American citizens who are IT-security-trained to
    > operate our networks."

    Saying the US doesn't produce enough Security/ IT talent is complete
    and utter bullsh*t.

    Put any five Security/IT professionals in a room and you will hear
    from at least three that they are unemployed or scraping by on
    contract work & looking for something full-time, and at least two will
    discuss how they once worked for the .gov/.mil but had to leave due to
    the pay being unlivable -- and generally there is an overlap in these
    groups. So perhaps if the government paid people a competitive wage,
    equal to what they could get in private industry, they would be able
    to retain talent and get other US citizens to work for them.

    I think the overpaid, so-called experts should start analyzing this
    little Catch-22 and stop crying wolf over an imaginary lack of
    available talent.

    - elyn

    -
    ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

    To unsubscribe email majordomoat_private with 'unsubscribe isn' in the BODY
    of the mail.