RE: [ISN] Digital Destruction Was Worst Imaginable

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Mon Mar 11 2002 - 22:47:01 PST

    Forwarded from: Robert G. Ferrell <rferrellat_private>

    > The implications of the damage at the WTC are in no way overstated.
    > All infrastructure is regional. And the main switching station in
    > NYC was a key facility, the loss of which the US national security
    > community has never before had to deal with -- this comes directly
    > from the director of the National Communications System.

    What I don't get is why, knowing from past events and copious
    intelligence indications that the WTC was going to be a major target
    because it symbolizes the American military-industrial complex in the
    minds of some terrorist groups, so much of the 'regional
    infrastructure' was located there.  Was it arrogance, stupidity, or
    ignorance? "Because it was convenient" certainly doesn't hold any
    water, either.

    I would have thought that after the bombing in 1993 the authorities
    would have distributed much of the existing WTC communications
    infrastructure, or at least dramatically increased the redundancy and
    failover capabilities thereof.  At any rate, it should have been
    fairly obvious that placing mission-critical systems in a declared
    terrorist target was, to say the least, a Bad Thing.

    Bomb me once, shame on you.  Bomb me twice, shame on me.

    RGF

    Robert G. Ferrell
    rferrellat_private
    http://rferrell.home.texas.net/rgflit.html

    -
    ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

    To unsubscribe email majordomoat_private with 'unsubscribe isn' in the BODY
    of the mail.