[ISN] Hackers target UK national infrastructure

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Wed Mar 27 2002 - 01:37:43 PST

    Forwarded from: Elyn Wollensky <elynat_private>

    http://www.vnunet.com/News/1130416

    By Andy McCue
    [26-03-2002]

    Government departments vital to the protection of the UK's critical national
    infrastructure are being attacked an average of 84 times a week by hackers.

    The infrastructure consists of key departments like Government Communication
    Headquarters, the Ministry of Defence and the Home Office, along with power
    and communications companies in the private sector.

    Electronic attacks on these organisations are recorded in confidence by the
    United Reporting and Alert Scheme. Between 1 January 1999 and 29 January
    2002 government departments reported 13,146 hacking attempts.

    Most proved unsuccessful with access being denied in 12,929 cases, but
    sensitive data was stolen or disclosed on 10 occasions and in 23 cases files
    were deleted or damaged.

    The government was unable to say how many of the attacks were internal or
    external, citing the "disproportionate cost" of providing such a breakdown.

    A Home Office spokeswoman said: "We continually monitor the threat of
    electronic attacks against the critical national infrastructure.

    "We have well established defences in place but we are not complacent and
    keep it under constant review, particularly in the light of 11 September."

    -
    ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

    To unsubscribe email majordomoat_private with 'unsubscribe isn' in the BODY
    of the mail.