Re: [ISN] FC: CBDTPA bans everything from two-line BASIC programs to PCs

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Wed Mar 27 2002 - 23:04:57 PST

    Forwarded from: Aj Effin Reznor <ajat_private>

    "InfoSec News was known to say....."

    > It's no joke. CBDTPA regulates "any hardware or software that
    > reproduces copyrighted works in digital form." My program above does
    > that, especially if my BASIC interpreter permits arbitrarily long
    > strings.
    >
    > The business end of the CBDTPA says that "a manufacturer, importer,
    > or seller" of such software cannot "sell, or offer for sale, in
    > interstate commerce, or cause to be transported in, or in a manner
    > affecting, interstate commerce" their code unless it "includes and
    > utilizes standard security technologies that adhere to the security
    > system standards adopted under section 3."

    Better yet, MS, NS, Opera, et al, can be held accountable under this.

    Scenario:
    	I run a web server.
    	Client types in my url.
    	Client clicks on a link on resulting page.
    	Client, through browser, has reproduced *my* work.  Violation?

    I know, I know, I should not be suprised at the stupidity of humans,
    esp. those in office.  But really, this is up there with the DMCA.....

    -aj.

    -
    ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

    To unsubscribe email majordomoat_private with 'unsubscribe isn' in the BODY
    of the mail.