[ISN] Red Hat Unveils CVE Security Compatibility

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Thu Apr 11 2002 - 00:58:05 PDT

    http://linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2002-04-11-002-26-SC-RH

    April 11, 2002

    RALEIGH, N.C.--April 10, 2002--Red Hat, Inc. (Nasdaq:RHAT) today
    announced that security alerts and advisories, including updates
    issued through the Red Hat Network, will now use Common
    Vulnerabilities and Exposures (CVE) standard names.

    The CVE project, maintained by the MITRE Corporation, is a list of
    standardized names for vulnerabilities and security exposures. The
    common list makes it easier to share data across a broad group of
    technologies, and can improve the accuracy of alerts and updates that
    correct potential security issues. In January, the National Institute
    of Standards and Technology (NIST) issued a draft recommendation that
    government organizations adopt CVE standard solutions throughout their
    security infrastructure.

    "One of the greatest strengths of open source development is the
    ability to harness the efforts of millions of programmers, users and
    vendors across the industry to quickly change software, including
    fixing vulnerabilities," said Mark Cox, senior director of engineering
    at Red Hat. "The CVE dictionary delivers a common language, enabling
    our customers to spend less time investigating and categorizing
    security events, reducing risk and any associated impact."

    "The growing acceptance of CVE within the open source community is an
    important development," said MITRE's Steve Christey, who heads up the
    CVE Editorial Board and is editor of the CVE List. "We hope that Red
    Hat's commitment to CVE will encourage other open source vendors to
    become more actively engaged in this initiative. We formally welcome
    Mark to our CVE Board, and at the same time we appreciate the
    significant contributions he has made over the last five months."

    Red Hat also announced today that Mark Cox has become the first
    employee of an open source vendor to join the CVE Editorial Board,
    whose members collaborate to determine the content of the list. The
    Board includes representatives from top vendors, academic
    institutions, government agencies and prominent security experts.
    Prior to his appointment, Cox had worked as a liaison with the project
    since November 2001.

    "We are working with MITRE and the rest of the CVE Editorial Board to
    contribute and validate new entries that affect Linux and open source
    projects, as well as publish CVE entries in our security advisories,"
    said Cox. "It is essential that security vulnerabilities get reported
    accurately so that affected users can make informed decisions."

    For more information on the CVE project, please visit cve.mitre.org

    -
    ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

    To unsubscribe email majordomoat_private with 'unsubscribe isn' in the BODY
    of the mail.