Re: [ISN] UMass computer scientist offers a new way to track internet vandals

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Tue Apr 16 2002 - 00:29:07 PDT

    Forwarded from: covert_one <covert_oneat_private>

    It would seem that either ISPs or companies suspectable to DoS attacks
    need to have a sysadmin on site 24/7 - better yet have a secsysadmin
    on site(or remote location) to monitor and respond to 'inappropriate'
    network activity. someone with some training could reconise a DoS
    attack and take action, block the IP, contact the ISP to shut it off.

    Also if ISPs WOULD make users liable for their attacks, weither they
    did it or not, would perhaps stop some users due to criminal/civil
    liabilities. If a college or ISP was to be charged for their machines
    parcipating in a DDoS attack, then they would take security more
    seriously.

    Laws and regulations could/should force people that put machines on
    line to conform to certain specifications for security. Unpatched
    servers could have the owner fined for not keeping their box secure.
    But thats a non-existant department of the USG.

    Just an idea

    C0VERTl

    _::Quote of the Moment::_
       If you go through life trying to make everyone happy, you will not
    be happy

      _::Suggested Song of the Moment::_
        The Romantics "Rock You Up" and "What I like about you"
        Golden Earring "Radar Love"
        Beastie Boys "Sabotage"
        Otis and the Kingsmen "Louie, Louie"

    *** Rubi-Con 4 Hacking Convention is over***  Read about the people
    and events from C0VERTl's perspective
    here:
     http://c0vertl.tripod.com/digital.htm

         [[[[[[>-Contact C0VERTl-<]]]]]]

                AIM: C0VERT0NE
          Yahoo Messenger: C0VERTl
       Best Email: covert_oneat_private
       Feed Your Brain visit the Digital Nomad Website
       http://c0vertl.tripod.com/digital.htm

    -
    ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

    To unsubscribe email majordomoat_private with 'unsubscribe isn' in the BODY
    of the mail.