[ISN] Linux Security Week - April 22nd 2002

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Tue Apr 23 2002 - 00:07:31 PDT

    |  LinuxSecurity.com                            Weekly Newsletter     |
    |  April 22nd, 2002                             Volume 3, Number 16n  |
    |  Editorial Team:  Dave Wreski             daveat_private    |
    |                   Benjamin Thomas         benat_private     |

    Thank you for reading the LinuxSecurity.com weekly security newsletter.
    The purpose of this document is to provide our readers with a quick
    summary of each week's most relevant Linux security headlines.

    This week, perhaps the most interesting articles include "Build a Flexible
    VPN with FreeS/WAN and Linux," "Linux VPN Masquerade HOWTO," "Hacking
    Through the Wireless Jungle," and "Uncrackable encryption:  It's no longer
    just sci-fi."

    ** FREE Apache SSL Guide from Thawte **
    Are you worried about your web server security?  Click here to get a FREE
    Thawte Apache SSL Guide and find the answers to all your Apache SSL
    security needs.

     -> http://www.gothawte.com/rd252.html

    This week, advisories were released for libsafe, imp, syncache/syncookies,
    squid, webalizer, xpilot, and demarc.  The vendors include Debian,
    FreeBSD, and Mandrake.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/forums_article-4837.html

    Find technical and managerial positions available worldwide.  Visit the
    LinuxSecurity.com Career Center: http://careers.linuxsecurity.com

    +---------------------+
    | Host Security News: | <<-----[ Articles This Week ]-------------
    +---------------------+

    * Evasion tool puts Snort's nose out of joint
    April 17th, 2002

    The darling of the intrusion detection system (IDS) industry had its nose
    put out of joint yesterday when a security developer released an evasion
    tool capable of undermining it.  Open source development Snort has been
    heralded as one of the most flexible IDS offerings, comparing well with
    alternative commercial products.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/intrusion_detection_article-4822.html

    +------------------------+
    | Network Security News: |
    +------------------------+

    * Hacking Through the Wireless Jungle
    April 20th, 2002

    With a WLAN card and a sniffer, it is not difficult for a hacker to find a
    company's wireless network from a position outside the building.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/network_security_article-4846.html

    * New tool helps hackers evade detection
    April 19th, 2002

    A new tool for manipulating packets of data that travel over the Internet
    could allow attackers to camouflage malicious programs just enough to
    bypass many intrusion-detection systems and firewalls.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/hackscracks_article-4841.html

    * Build a Flexible VPN with FreeS/WAN and Linux, Part 2
    April 19th, 2002

    Part One of this article discussed the advantages of FreeS/WAN, a
    Linux-based VPN package that allows even older Pentiums to be pressed into
    service as flexible VPN servers and offered an overview of how to build a
    test-bed network.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/network_security_article-4840.html

    * Build a Flexible VPN with FreeS/WAN and Linux
    April 18th, 2002

    FreeS/WAN is an ideal solution for the overworked, harassed network admin
    who needs to bring together branch offices, telecommuters, and road
    warriors from anywhere over the Internet, and it does it all for the price
    of the hardware, with requirements that are surprisingly low.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/network_security_article-4831.html

    * Linux VPN Masquerade HOWTO
    April 16th, 2002

    How to configure a Linux firewall to masquerade IPsec- and PPTP-based
    Virtual Private Network traffic, allowing you to establish a VPN
    connection without losing the security and flexibility of your Linux
    firewall's internet connection and allowing you to make available a VPN
    server that does not have a registered internet IP address.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/documentation_article-4806.html

    +------------------------+
    |  Cryptography:         |
    +------------------------+

    * Uncrackable encryption: It's no longer just sci-fi
    April 19th, 2002

    Imagine, if you will, a means of delivering encryption keys that is so
    secure that it's impossible to break because doing so would violate the
    laws of physics. In other words, the delivery method is so secure, it's
    protected by the very fabric of the universe.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/cryptography_article-4836.html

    * Crypto-Gram April 15th, 2002
    April 16th, 2002

    The National Science Foundation will begin testing electronic signature
    technology next month that could remove the last impediment to its
    paperless proposal process.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/cryptography_article-4808.html

    +------------------------+
    |  Vendor/Products:      |
    +------------------------+

    * Announcement of OpenSSL 0.9.6d and 0.9.7 Release Plan and Schedule
    April 17th, 2002

    The National Science Foundation will begin testing electronic signature
    technology next month that could remove the last impediment to its
    paperless proposal process.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/cryptography_article-4823.html

    +------------------------+
    |  General:              |
    +------------------------+

    * White House cyber czar describes next phase of Internet plan
    April 19th, 2002

    Speaking before a conference of hundreds of federal technology personnel
    and industry officials Wednesday morning, Richard Clarke, President Bush's
    point man on national cybersecurity, outlined the next phase in the
    controversial plan to build an impenetrable information network for the
    federal government, known as Govnet

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/government_article-4838.html

    * Carnivore's New Leash on Life?
    April 18th, 2002

    A graduate student at Dartmouth College wants to tame the FBI's Carnivore
    surveillance system. Alex Iliev has proposed a way to force anyone who
    wants to monitor e-mail or Web browsing to follow the rules -- and not
    snoop on private data that should be off-limits.  Iliev's system relies on
    technology, not Congress or federal judges, to keep Carnivore on a very
    short leash.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/privacy_article-4829.html

    * A Proposed Architecture and Roadmap
    April 15th, 2002

    This document describes a proposed strategy for addressing security within
    a Web service environment. It defines a comprehensive Web service security
    model that supports, integrates and unifies several popular security
    models, mechanisms, and technologies (including both symmetric and public
    key technologies) in a way that enables a variety of systems to securely
    interoperate in a platform- and language-neutral manner.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/network_security_article-4804.html