Re: [ISN] FAA hacked by patriots

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Sat May 04 2002 - 04:15:08 PDT

    Forwarded from: Drew Williams <drew928sat_private>

    Good article by Kevin on the FAA getting hacked. I hope the FAA
    realizes its vulnerabilities stem far beyond those of a couple of kids
    and some passenger screening protocols. Last year some of our Security
    folks (from a major IT Security company for whom I work), visited the
    FAA and discussed the simple problems of viruses, and how they could
    corrupt those very servers that control the flight patterns.

    Because of pricing-per-server, the FAA employs a very cheap and hardly
    reliable brand of anti-virus technology, which has been documented as
    not even close to a top-five contender. This worries a lot of
    people--especially those of us in IT security who have to fly every
    week.

    I hope the FAA will make some changes in how they view their
    infrastructure--not just how they look at little old ladies getting
    "randomly" screened at the gates.

    --- InfoSec News <isnat_private> wrote:

    > By Kevin Poulsen, SecurityFocus Online
    >
    > Hackers were able to penetrate a Federal Aviation Administration
    > system earlier this week and download unpublished information on
    > airport passenger screening activities, federal officials confirmed
    > Thursday.
    >
    > Styling themselves "The Deceptive Duo," the hackers on Wednesday
    > publicly defaced an FAA server used by what was the administration's
    > Civil Aviation Security organization, which until recently was
    > responsible for supervising passenger screening at U.S. airports.
    > There, the intruders posted a mission statement vowing to expose
    > America's poor state of cyber security for the good of the nation.

    [...]

    -
    ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

    To unsubscribe email majordomoat_private with 'unsubscribe isn'
    in the BODY of the mail.