Re: [ISN] "Nessus calls home"? Facts of the matter.

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Fri May 10 2002 - 01:35:46 PDT

    Forwarded from: bschnzlat_private
    Cc: deraisonat_private
    How 'bout letting us specify our own domains, making the
    default, and putting a notice in the results!
    You could use as the default to make sure DNS did not get
    in the way.  The notice in the results would make that legit.
    In a message titled [ISN] "Nessus calls home"?  Facts of the matter. ,
    on 9 May 2002 at 2:06, InfoSec News sent these words:
    > Forwarded from: Jay D. Dyson <jdysonat_private>
    > Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 16:50:09 +0200
    > From: Renaud Deraison <deraisonat_private>
    > To: nessusat_private
    > Subject: "Nessus calls home"
    > Hi,
    > I attended CanSecWest last week and I was told there were rumors of people
    > complaining about Nessus "calling home" when doing a scan.
    > In order to clear the confusion, here's a small explanation of what Nessus
    > does, followed by a short poll asking you what you'd prefer it to do.
    > First, let me emphasizes something : Nessus does *not* call home. It never
    > does, never did and never will.
    > However, the checks have a side effect that may have the naughty side
    > effect to sending some packets to, which can make people think
    > I have the ability to monitor their scans - here's the list :
    Bill Scherr IV, GSEC, GCIA
    Electronic Warfare Associates / IIT
    Lafayette RTI, Camp Johnson
    Colchester, VT 05446
    ISN is currently hosted by
    To unsubscribe email majordomoat_private with 'unsubscribe isn'
    in the BODY of the mail.