[ISN] Bug centre monitors real-time threats

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Wed May 15 2002 - 01:01:03 PDT

    By James Middleton [10-05-2002]
    Internet Storm Centre offers latest security alerts
    The Sans Institute's Incidents.org security watchtower has launched a
    new monitoring centre to keep track of threats in the wild.  The
    Internet Storm Centre lives at isc.incidents.org and informs network
    administrators of the latest security alerts and real-time threats.
    Currently we're well in the green on the threat level meter and there
    are no current alerts.
    But the Storm Centre is warning that widespread port 80 scans, still
    being caused by Nimda and Code Red, are dominating all other activity.
    The Storm Centre is also keeping its eyes peeled for exploits of
    yesterday's Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol Daemon (DHCPD).
    An advisory from the Computer Emergency Response Team (Cert) warned
    that a format string vulnerability in the Internet Software
    Consortium's DHCPD could allow a remote attacker to execute code with
    root privileges on the server that allocates network addresses and
    assigns configuration parameters to hosts.
    The Storm Centre is located here [1]. The Cert advisory on the ISC
    DHCPD can be found here [2].
    [1] http://isc.incidents.org/
    [2] http://www.cert.org/advisories/CA-2002-12.html
    ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org
    To unsubscribe email majordomoat_private with 'unsubscribe isn'
    in the BODY of the mail.