RE: [ISN] MS Outlook booted off campus

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Tue May 28 2002 - 01:33:07 PDT

    Forwarded from: Wall David  Civ AETC/DOXD <David.Wallat_private>

    OK, Guess I wasn't clear.

    We run Norton, and get automatic updates every 24 hours, occasionally
    changing to every 12 hours.  Everything is automatic on our network
    (UNIX servers and NT workstations).  No user can open any file, e-mail
    or attachment unless the antivirus checks it first.  This isn't on the
    firewall, it's on the network.

    I know it's impossible to catch every virus if it is radically new,
    but we very, VERY seldom get a successful penetration.  For example,
    we took over 600,000 hits with I love you, and none got through.
    Lesser, obviously, numbers with code red, Klez, and others.  Again,
    none got through. The virus was deleted and the e-mail then had an
    attachment that wasn't there.

    I'm no great fan of Outlook, but I don't see that it deserved the
    comments by that university.  For those who disagree, that's fine.

    Now, if you'll pardon my absence - i.e., no more responses for a
    couple weeks - I'm off to get married.  I don't expect to even hear
    the words virus, Norton, Outlook, infosecNews, etc., for a while.

    Happy computing

    Dave Wall