[ISN] Linux Security Week - June 24th 2002

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Tue Jun 25 2002 - 04:45:48 PDT

    |  LinuxSecurity.com                            Weekly Newsletter     |
    |  June 24th, 2002                              Volume 3, Number 25n  |
    |  Editorial Team:  Dave Wreski             daveat_private    |
    |                   Benjamin Thomas         benat_private     |

    Thank you for reading the LinuxSecurity.com weekly security newsletter.
    The purpose of this document is to provide our readers with a quick
    summary of each week's most relevant Linux security headlines.

    This week, perhaps the most interesting articles include "Using OpenLDAP
    For Authentication," "Filtering E-Mail with Postfix and Procmail,"
    "Network Security with OpenSSL," and "VPN Implementation in Cluster
    Computing."

    ## Developing with open standards? Demanding High Performance? ## Catch
    the Oracle9i JDeveloper wave now and check out how built-in profilers and
    CodeCoach make your Java code tighter and faster than ever before.
    Download your FREE copy of Oracle9i J Developer Today.

      http://ads.linuxsecurity.com/cgi-bin/ad_redirect.pl?id=oracle1

    This week, advisories were released for apache, fetchmail, and dhcp.  The
    vendors include Caldera, Conectiva, Debian, EnGarde, FreeBSD, Red Hat,
    SuSE, and Trustix.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/forums_article-3.html

    *** Guardian Digital offers new Secure Linux server OS ***

    Setting up a secure server isn't necessarily for the faint of heart.  To
    make it easier for IT administrators, Guardian Digital Inc. has released
    EnGarde Secure Linux Version 1.2, offering a secure server operating
    system for mail, Web and other services without the hassle of an intricate
    customization.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/vendors_products_article-5153.html

    +---------------------+
    | Host Security News: | <<-----[ Articles This Week ]-------------
    +---------------------+

    * What Really Is 'Forensics'?
    June 20th, 2002

    First of all, all attacks are not created equal. There are script kiddie
    attacks, attacks by serious hackers, by insiders, by fraudsters, and
    attacks by just about any other malefactor you can imagine who has a bone
    to pick with his or her intended victim.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/intrusion_detection_article-5168.html

    * Using OpenLDAP For Authentication
    June 19th, 2002

    There are few tutorials on how to accomplish using LDAP for
    authentication, and I found them to be difficult to understand or
    incomplete, and as a result some research and testing was done to setup
    LDAP-based authentication on Mandrake Linux.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/network_security_article-5166.html

    * Two Open Source Security Code Scanners
    June 19th, 2002

    Secure Programming HOWTO and the RATS development team from Secure
    Software Solutions today announced open source source code security flaw
    scanners. RATS scans through code, finding potentially dangerous function
    calls.  The goal of this tool is not to definitively find bugs.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/projects_article-3046.html

    * LIDS FAQ v0.15
    June 19th, 2002

    Version 0.15 of the LIDS FAQ is available. LIDS is an enhancement for the
    Linux kernel written by Xie Huagang and Philippe Biondi. It implements
    several security features that are not in the Linux kernel natively. Some
    of these include: mandatory access controls (MAC), a port scan detector,
    file protection (even from root), and process protection.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/intrusion_detection_article-4003.html

    * Filtering E-Mail with Postfix and Procmail, Part One of Three
    June 18th, 2002

    Most folks dislike spam in their e-mail. Spam takes up our network, disk,
    and cpu resources. It requires that we weed through unwanted messages to
    find the ones that we requested. (I'm not going to try to convince you
    that spam is not good, you can check out some of the anti-spam resources
    listed in.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/privacy_article-5155.html

    +------------------------+
    | Network Security News: |
    +------------------------+

    * Network Security with OpenSSL
    June 21st, 2002

    Network Security with OpenSSL by John Viega, Matt Messier, and Pravir
    Chandra.  It focuses on the practical uses of OpenSSL in securing network
    communications in a safe and effective manner.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/security_sources_article-5177.html

    * Policy Development: Training the Troops
    June 20th, 2002

    Teachers around the globe will often post school rules on the walls of
    their classrooms for their pupils to read and, hopefully, follow.
    Frequently, they will first educate students about the importance of the
    rules and why they should adhere to them, then discuss disciplinary
    actions they may take if students choose to ignore them.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/security_sources_article-5171.html

    * Securing Small Networks with OpenBSD Part 5
    June 20th, 2002

    Watching pf logs can be exciting for the first few hours, but it soon
    becomes a boring activity best left to the machines. But first we need to
    know how OpenBSD manages pf logs.  The pf packet logging mechanism uses
    the standard system logger daemon syslogd to store packet information in
    /var/log/pflog.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/server_security_article-1.html

    * VPN Implementation in Cluster Computing
    June 19th, 2002

    VPNs often are heralded as one of the most cutting-edge, cost-saving
    solutions to various applications, and they are widely deployed in the
    areas of security, infrastructure expansion and inter-networking. A VPN
    adds more dimension to networking and infrastructure because it enables
    private networks to be connected in secure and robust ways.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/server_security_article-5161.html

    +------------------------+
    |  Cryptography:         |
    +------------------------+

    * Fears of Misuse of Encryption System Are Voiced
    June 20th, 2002

    A leading European computer security and privacy advocate is challenging
    an effort by the American computer industry to create a standard to
    protect software and digital content, calling the plan a smoke screen by
    established companies to protect their existing markets.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/cryptography_article-5169.html

    +------------------------+
    |  Vendors/Products:     |
    +------------------------+

    * OpenSSH 3.3 released
    June 21st, 2002

    A leading European computer security and privacy advocate is challenging
    an effort by the American computer industry to create a standard to
    protect software and digital content, calling the plan a smoke screen by
    established companies to protect their existing markets.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/cryptography_article-5178.html

    * Secure Coding
    June 21st, 2002

    Several months ago, Bill Gates announced that security would be the number
    one priority at Microsoft. Several groups at Microsoft, such as the
    Trusted Computing Group and the Secure Windows Initiative strive to
    improve security in Microsoft products and ultimately improve security for
    individuals and corporations worldwide.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/security_sources_article-6.html

    * WhiteHat Arsenal Tool Set Aims to Knock Off Web Site Black Hats
    June 19th, 2002

    When designing Web sites, developers usually focus on the appearance and
    the back end. And they generally rush to get their e-commerce sites to
    production, often at the expense of adequate security and testing. In
    fact, Web applications are the weak link.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/vendors_products_article-5165.html

    * Guardian Digital offers new Secure Linux server OS
    June 17th, 2002

    Setting up a secure server isn't necessarily for the faint of heart.  To
    make it easier for IT administrators, Guardian Digital Inc. has released
    EnGarde Secure Linux Version 1.2, offering a secure server operating
    system for mail, Web and other servers without the hassle of an intricate
    customization.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/vendors_products_article-5153.html

    +------------------------+
    |  General:              |
    +------------------------+

    * Open, closed source security about equal?
    June 21st, 2002

    Proprietary programs should mathematically be as secure as those developed
    under the open-source model, a Cambridge University researcher argued in a
    paper presented Thursday at a technical conference in Toulouse, France.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/security_sources_article-4.html

    * Apache: Threat Becomes Vulnerability Becomes Exploit
    June 21st, 2002

    The recent situation regarding the Apache chunk encoding vulnerability has
    caused plenty of controversy in the security industry.  It initially began
    with the community dislike of the release of information.  Then it was
    debated as to weather or not this was really an exploitable.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/vendors_products_article-7.html

    * Security Conscious Reminders
    June 20th, 2002

    As the days pass in 2002, folks in the corporate world and even in their
    home networks are realizing that security is a necessity.  I don't need to
    be telling you this since you are reading this article from a security
    related website.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/general_article-5172.html

    * Are security advisories released too soon?
    June 19th, 2002

    Network protection company Internet Security Systems published a security
    advisory for Apache, the Internet's most popular Web server, and gave the
    Apache Foundation, which created the software, less than two hours to
    respond.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/forums_article-5163.html