Re: [ISN] Apple: Taking OS X security seriously -- finally

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Tue Jul 09 2002 - 05:03:24 PDT

    Forwarded from: Kurt Seifried <listuserat_private>

    To bad apple's software update service is totally insecure (packages
    are not signed at all, no use of https://, etc.). I was about to
    relase an advisory on this sometime this week but someone beat me to
    the punch. If you have a local shell on macosx you can compromise the
    system trivially, local subnet is pretty easy, across the inet it's
    doable as well (need to dns poison/arp poison/etc). Apple is no
    better/worse then the other BSD vendors, same backend, same problems,
    I don't see them finding and fixing a huge number of holes (i.e.
    OpenSSH, Apache...etc.).

    BTW Apple's update for Apache was ~2 weeks late.

    Kurt Seifried, kurtat_private
    A15B BEE5 B391 B9AD B0EF
    AEB0 AD63 0B4E AD56 E574
    http://seifried.org/security/