[ISN] Linux Advisory Watch - September 6th 2002

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Sun Sep 08 2002 - 23:16:13 PDT

    |  LinuxSecurity.com                        Linux Advisory Watch |
    |  September 6th, 2002                      Volume 3, Number 36a |

      Editors:     Dave Wreski                Benjamin Thomas
                   daveat_private     benat_private

    Linux Advisory Watch is a comprehensive newsletter that outlines the
    security vulnerabilitiaes that have been announced throughout the week.
    It includes pointers to updated packages and descriptions of each
    vulnerability.

    This week, advisories were released for pxe, ethereal, scrollkeeper,
    mailman, mantis, amavis, and glibc.  The vendors include Conectiva,
    Debian, Gentoo, Red Hat, and SuSE.

    ** Build Complete Internet Presence Quickly and Securely! **

    EnGarde Secure Linux has everything necessary to create thousands of
    virtual Web sites, manage e-mail, DNS, firewalling, and database functions
    for an entire organization, all using a secure Web-based front-end.
    Engineered to be secure and easy to use!

    Don't jeopardize your organization with an off-the-shelf Linux!

      -> http://www.guardiandigital.com/promo/ls150402.html

    FEATURE: PHP Secure Installation

     As we know that the vulnerabilities in PHP are increasing day by day
     there comes the need to secure the PHP installation to the highest
     level. Due to its popularity and its wide usage most of the
     developers and the administrators will be in trouble if they don't
     take appropriate steps on security issues during the installation.

     http://www.linuxsecurity.com/feature_stories/feature_story-117.html

    +---------------------------------+
    |  Package: pxe                   | ----------------------------//
    |  Date: 08-30-2002               |
    +---------------------------------+

    It was found that the PXE server could be crashed using DHCP packets
    from some Voice Over IP (VOIP) phones. This bug could be used to
    cause a denial of service attack on remote systems by using malicious
    packets.

    Vendor Alerts:

     Red Hat Linux 7.3: i386:
     ftp://updates.redhat.com/7.3/en/os/i386/pxe-0.1-31.99.7.3.i386.rpm
     391d65eb419642d2e5d57507b1b8546e

     Red Hat Vendor Advisory:
     http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/redhat_advisory-2320.html

    +---------------------------------+
    |  Package: ethereal              | ----------------------------//
    |  Date: 09-02-2002               |
    +---------------------------------+

    It may be possible to make Ethereal crash or hang by injecting a
    purposefully malformed packet onto the wire, or by convincing someone

    to read a malformed packet trace file. It may be possible to make
    Ethereal run arbitrary code by exploiting the buffer and pointer
    problems.

    Vendor Alerts:
    Gentoo

     PLEASE SEE VENDOR ADVISORY FOR UPDATE

     Gentoo Vendor Advisory:
     http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/other_advisory-2321.html

    +---------------------------------+
    |  Package: scrollkeeper          | ----------------------------//
    |  Date: 09-02-2002               |
    +---------------------------------+

    The scrollkeeper-get-cl command generates temporary files in the /tmp
    directory.  These files are named scrollkeeper-tempfile.[0-4], and
    while creating these files scrollkeeper-get-cl follows symbolic links.
    These files are created when a user logs in to a GNOME session and
    are created as the user who logged in. This means an attacker with
    local access can easily create and overwrite files as another user.

    Vendor Alerts:

    Red Hat 7.3:

    ftp://updates.redhat.com/7.3/en/os/i386/scrollkeeper-0.3.4-5.i386.rpm

     392a5149a4b0e8abce9c350c88ee827a

     Red Hat Vendor Advisory:
     http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/redhat_advisory-2323.html

    Debian:

     http://security.debian.org/pool/updates/main/s/scrollkeeper/
     scrollkeeper_0.3.6-3.1_i386.deb

     Size/MD5 checksum:
     78818 a7e536042ebad89ed21fb27dcf41fc8f

     Debian Vendor Advisory:
     http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/debian_advisory-2324.html

    Gentoo

     Gentoo Vendor Advisory:
     http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/other_advisory-2326.html

    special URL with javascript in it and somehow having a list
    administrator click on it.

    Vendor Alerts:

    Conectiva:
     ftp://atualizacoes.conectiva.com.br/8/RPMS/
     mailman-2.0.13-1U80_1cl.i386.rpm

     Conectiva Vendor Advisory:
     http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/other_advisory-2325.html

    +---------------------------------+
    |  Package: mantis                | ----------------------------//
    |  Date: 09-04-2002               |
    +---------------------------------+

    A problem with user privileges has been discovered in the Mantis
    package, a PHP based bug tracking system.  The Mantis system didn't
    check whether a user is permitted to view a bug, but displays it
    right away if the user entered a valid bug id.

    Vendor Alerts:

    Debian:

     http://security.debian.org/pool/updates/main/m/mantis/
     mantis_0.17.1-2.5_all.deb

     Size/MD5 checksum:
     250066 e1b6b6240c18fcdd943a85407a494779

     Debian Vendor Advisory:
     http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/debian_advisory-2327.html

    +---------------------------------+
    |  Package: amavis                | ----------------------------//
    |  Date: 09-04-2002               |
    +---------------------------------+

    The AMaViS shell script version (AMaViS 0.1.x / 0.2.x) uses securetar
    securetar removes the pathes of files in a tar archive and makes each

    file name a unique name. Links, character devices, block devices and
    named pipes will be removed from the archive. A special-crafted TAR
    file may hung securetar forever, using up to 100% CPU time.

    Vendor Alerts:

    Gentoo:

     http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/other_advisory-2328.html

    +---------------------------------+
    |  Package: glibc                 | ----------------------------//
    |  Date: 09-05-2002               |
    +---------------------------------+

    An integer overflow has been discovered in the xdr_array() function,
    contained in the Sun Microsystems RPC/XDR library, which is part of
    the glibc library package on all SuSE products. This overflow allows
    a remote attacker to overflow a buffer, leading to remote execution
    of arbitrary code supplied by the attacker.

    Vendor Alerts:

    SuSE:
     ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/update/8.0/a1/
     glibc-2.2.5-123.i386.rpm
     57bb8eb5e4355539f01ee9dc2e1b790e

     ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/update/8.0/d2/
     glibc-devel-2.2.5-123.i386.rpm
     cf1a18510a8e78914500c10cc9b79bf0

     ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/update/8.0/d3/
     glibc-profile-2.2.5-123.i386.rpm
     a03333bb8a0bd77def78b633d790fdb2

     SuSE Vendor Advisory:
     http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/suse_advisory-2329.html