Re: [ISN] Alberta hackers find wireless networks wide open

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Sun Sep 08 2002 - 23:15:48 PDT

    Forwarded from: Nick Jacobsen <nickat_private>

    I thought I'd toss in a quick overview of results in Portland, OR.
    Hardware was a linksys ver 2.5 internal antenna wireless pcmcia card
    in a IBM laptop running RedHat...  Transportation was just a bike with
    the laptop in a backpack.  I was out for less then 4 hours, just
    riding around downtown, and found over 80 access points, of which 7
    were using both wep AND not broadcasting SSID, 4 were NOT using wep
    and were not broadcasting SSID, and the rest were WIDE open...

    Nick Jacobsen
    Ethics Design
    nickat_private