Re: [ISN] Demand For Managed Security To Surge

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Wed Sep 11 2002 - 01:54:57 PDT

    Forwarded from: Drew Williams <drew928sat_private>

    One problem that all of these analysts and vendors fail to mention is
    the inability of these product vendors to assimilate new business
    "types" into their sales models.

    Although some vendors, for example, might have excellent brand
    recognition for their efforts in anti-virus or IDS technology,
    training their sales forces to ween off the easy renewals or upgrades,
    and onto a longer sales cycle for a non-tangible "product" has been
    extremely unsuccessful, based on the numbers they have produced
    on-record in the services segments. Dedicating exclusive resources to
    accomplish this doesn't seem to work, either.

    At the end of the day, it will take people who actually understand the
    business problems associated with managing security issues--people
    with vision and the integrity to look beyond the commission
    structure--to effectively produce a successful transition from a
    product-centric approach to a comprehensive security solution.
    Companies just don't want to hire these types of folks, it seems.

    Ultimately, again, based on their actions, these big companies are
    interested in generating REVENUE, not finding real solutions to their
    customers' security problems.

    I haven't seen the company with the kind of talent necessary to look
    beyond its greedy demands for "expansion" without suffering for it in
    the long-run.

    And yet the customers still put up with it all . . .

    --- InfoSec News <isnat_private> wrote:

    http://www.crn.com/sections/BreakingNews/breakingnews.asp?ArticleID=37342

    > By Marcia Savage, CRN
    > Scottsdale, Ariz.
    > 5:36 PM EST Mon., Sept. 09, 2002
    >
    > The worldwide market for managed security services will reach nearly
    > $4.9 billion in 2006, up from $1.3 billion last year, according to
    > research firm In-Stat/MDR.
    >
    > More companies will outsource their security as threats grow from
    > both inside and outside the corporate network, the firm said in its
    > forecast, released Monday.
    >
    > Small and midsize businesses with 1,000 to 4,900 employees are and
    > will continue to be the biggest buyers of managed security services
    > due to their lack of security personnel and expertise, according
    > In-Stat/MDR, based here.
    >
    > The market for outsourced security has undergone a massive shakeout
    > with companies either going out of business or selling off their
    > managed security operations. Most recently, Symantec acquired
    > Riptech, a managed security provider in Alexandria, Va.

    [...]

    -
    ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

    To unsubscribe email majordomoat_private with 'unsubscribe isn'
    in the BODY of the mail.