Re: [ISN] Popular Linksys Router Vulnerable to Attack

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Tue Nov 05 2002 - 04:06:42 PST

    Forwarded from: Eric Lee Green <ericat_private>

    On Sunday 03 November 2002 11:29 pm, InfoSec News wrote:
    > http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,3959,663801,00.asp In many cases,
    > there is no reason for the remote management interface to be enabled
    > and disabling it serves as an easy defense against this problem.

    More correctly, I should say that in ALL cases there is no reason for
    the remote management interface on a Linksys router to be enabled.
    This interface is a totally unencrypted web application that sends the
    system management password over the Internet in plain text. Any script
    kiddie with a password sniffer then gets access to your router -- and
    to your network.

    --
    Eric Lee Green          GnuPG public key at http://badtux.org/eric/eric.gpg
              mailto:ericat_private  Web: http://www.badtux.org

    -
    ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

    To unsubscribe email majordomoat_private with 'unsubscribe isn'
    in the BODY of the mail.