[ISN] Kaspersky mailing list hijacked!

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Mon Nov 11 2002 - 01:50:13 PST

    By John Leyden

    Oops! Kaspersky Labs' antivirus mailing list became the unwitting
    vector for the spread of Braid, the latest email worm, today after
    script kiddies outfoxed the veteran Russian virus fighters.

    Recipients to the mailing list looked on in bemusement, and some
    concern, as the original virus-ladened email generated multiple
    bounced messages this morning. These echoing messages bounced around
    the list for eight hours, we're told.

    In a statement, Kaspersky Labs admitted the malicious messages was
    injected into its list after a "massive attack" against the company's
    Web server last night.

    "The attack resulted in a group of hackers sending the subscribers of
    the Kaspersky Labs' email newsletter a message containing the recently
    discovered Bridex [Braid] worm," it admits.

    Kaspersky Labs has apologised for any inconvenience, advising
    newsletter subscribers to delete the offending message. Legitimate
    messages on the list come without attachments, it advises. The company
    pledged to review its security procedures in light of the
    highly-embarrassing attack.

    The company is seeking to downplay this point by pointing out that
    many large governmental and commercial institutions have already felt
    victims to hackers.

    "During the last few years Kaspersky Labs has grown to become one of
    the leading virus experts and this status has attracted much attention
    from hackers resulting in daily attempts to penetrate of defences,"
    said Eugene Kaspersky, Head of Anti-Virus Research at Kaspersky Labs.

    "Currently we are conducting an investigation to reveal the sources of
    this attack and are taking the necessary measures with our security
    system to ensure that this type of attack will never succeed in the
    future."

    Observers believed that Kaspersky Labs mailing list was hit by someone
    who simply got hold of the email address of the unmoderated list. This
    kind of attack wouldn't affect the firm's internal systems.

    By Kasperky's own account its Web site was hacked, raising concerns
    about the integrity of AV signature files available from the site.

    A spokesman for the firm said not to worry on that score. "Now
    everything is already fixed and running," he told us.

    Which is meant to be reassuring, we think.

    -
    ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

    To unsubscribe email majordomoat_private with 'unsubscribe isn'
    in the BODY of the mail.