Re: [ISN] Security Cert Provider Cries Foul

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Mon Nov 25 2002 - 00:00:04 PST

    Forwarded from: Jon Miller <cio.nyat_private>

    Clearly, the danger here is that when we view InfoSec certification as
    a commodity rather than an achieved credential based on the
    demonstration of the understanding of a standardized CBK, they become
    all but worthless...

    On Friday, November 22, 2002, at 02:09  AM, InfoSec News wrote:

    > By Jeff Moad
    > November 21, 2002
    >
    > The non-profit owner of the leading professional certification
    > program for security managers has charged that a rival group's plan
    > to offer a comparable certification will confuse the market and
    > force security professionals to obtain multiple credentials.
    >
    > Officials from the ISC2 (International Information Systems Security
    > Certification Consortium Inc.) posted a statement on the
    > organization's Web site Tuesday criticizing plans by the ISACA
    > (Information Systems Audit and Control Association) to launch a new
    > certification targeting information security managers. The new ISACA
    > certification, to be called the Certified Information Security
    > Manager and due to launch in June, could compete with the
    > well-established CISSP (Certified Information Systems Security
    > Professional ) certification from ISC2.
    >
    > In its unsigned online challenge to ISACA's plan to roll out the new
    > certification, ISC2 officials say the CISSP certification already
    > "meets or exceeds the areas the CISM professes to address." The
    > statement also questions the qualifications of ISACA to move into
    > the security practitioner certification space. Currently ISACA
    > offers a certification focused on security auditors.

    [...]

    -
    ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

    To unsubscribe email majordomoat_private with 'unsubscribe isn'
    in the BODY of the mail.
    -