[ISN] Angry Kuwaiti hacker launches cyber attack

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Mon Dec 16 2002 - 03:20:14 PST

    Forwarded from: William Knowles <wkat_private>

    http://www.thescotsman.co.uk/international.cfm?id=1387132002

    JACK FAIRWEATHER IN KUWAIT CITY

    A YOUNG Kuwaiti computer hacker was being hailed yesterday as a hero
    for causing the collapse of the Iraqi information ministry web site
    after loading it with viruses

    The hacker, 19, known by his computer name of Koko, launched his cyber
    attack after becoming incensed by a speech by Saddam Hussein last
    weekend in which the Iraqi leader offered an "apology" for the 1990
    invasion of Kuwait.

    Speaking to a local Kuwaiti newspaper, Koko said: "I did it because
    what Saddam said was lies and someone had to show that Kuwait was not
    going to put up with his threats any more.

    "I'm not a hero, I just wanted to defend my country," he added.

    Koko's conversion to the defence of his country also represents
    something of a public relations coup in the battle against cyber
    terrorism.

    He had been part of a disparate gang of computer hackers involved in
    acts of sabotage against Israeli government web sites and various US
    and British business interests

    "We're very proud of him," a gang member said.

    "Communications without intelligence is noise;  Intelligence
    without communications is irrelevant." Gen Alfred. M. Gray, USMC
    C4I.org - Computer Security, & Intelligence - http://www.c4i.org