[ISN] Feds Delay Launch of Cyber-Security Plan

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Fri Dec 20 2002 - 02:13:42 PST

    By Dennis Fisher
    December 19, 2002

    The White House's cyber-security arm will not release the next draft
    of its National Strategy to Secure Cyberspace by the end of the year,
    as it had originally planned.

    The President's Critical Infrastructure Protection Board, which
    produced the strategy, is still going over the comments submitted this
    fall on the original draft. No specific date has been set for the
    release of the next version of the document.

    "We're hoping to get it out there soon," said Tiffany Olson, deputy
    chief of staff at the PCIPB in Washington. "There's no timetable, but
    it'll be early next year."

    The board released the first draft of the strategy in September, and
    the public comment period lasted until mid-November. A number of
    security vendors and other software and hardware vendors submitted
    comments. Olson said the board now is working to find a way to release
    all of the comments it received without identifying their authors.

    "We got a lot of great comments and a lot of interaction, which shows
    people care," she said. "We're trying to find a process to release the
    comments publicly. That's our hope."

    Richard Clarke, chairman of the PCIPB, held a series of town hall
    meetings around the country to discuss the strategy and give the
    public a chance to voice its concerns.

    Olson also disputed a comment in a report released this week that said
    the draft national strategy had never been approved by the entire
    PCIPB. The comment was part of a report done by the Advisory Panel to
    Assess Domestic Response Capabilities for Terrorism Involving Weapons
    of Mass Destruction, which was established by Congress.

    "I have no idea what they meant by that," Olson said. "I know that the
    full board has met several times and no agency has ever disputed [the
    strategy]."

    The report was highly critical of the Bush administration's
    information security efforts in general and specifically criticized
    the national strategy as being "a small step indeed."

    -
    ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

    To unsubscribe email majordomoat_private with 'unsubscribe isn'
    in the BODY of the mail.