Re: [ISN] Interview with Bob Toxen

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Sun Dec 22 2002 - 23:28:01 PST

    Forwarded from: Robert G. Ferrell <rgferrellat_private>

    At 05:26 AM 12/17/02 -0600, InfoSec News wrote:

    > One of my original ideas was hacking the kernel so that instead of
    > the erase character being a "#" character, erasing would generate
    > the now universal backspace-space-backspace sequence to obliterate
    > the now erased character. I did the same for line erase, replacing
    > the "@" character with however many backspace-space-backspace
    > sequences were needed to erase the entire line on the screen. Doug
    > Merritt helped with this work.
    >
    > I created the "lock" program to lock a terminal as a convenience
    > over logging out to maintain security. I started enhancing the Unix
    > Version 6 shell before Bill Joy started on csh and Dr. Bourne did
    > the Bourne Shell. Doug Merritt added vi-like editing to the shell.
    > All of these things now are universal on Unix, Linux, and even
    > Windows but we came up with the ideas.

    Those of you who follow ISN will be (painfully) aware that I tend to
    slip into rant mode when people misuse the term 'hacker,' at least as
    I see it. I thought this would be a good opportunity to illustrate
    just what hackers are in my world view.

    Bob Toxen is a true hacker.  This is what hackers do.

    Have a great weekend.

    RGF

    Robert G. Ferrell
    rgferrellat_private

    -
    ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

    To unsubscribe email majordomoat_private with 'unsubscribe isn'
    in the BODY of the mail.