Re: [ISN] Hacker threat seen as overdone

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Mon Dec 30 2002 - 00:22:28 PST

    Forwarded from: Russell Coker <russellat_private>
    Cc: Richard Forno <rfornoat_private>

    On Fri, 27 Dec 2002 13:12, InfoSec News wrote:
    > I particularly despise Sen Shumer (D-NY) who believes that if someone
    > hacked the FAA, airplanes would fall from the sky. Good ol' Bud
    > forgets that planes have a really good backup system called "pilot"
    > and "co-pilot" and that a sudden loss of FAA systems probably won't
    > have planes crashing....after all, the systems are so old anyway that
    > they go up and down like a yo-yo, and most commercial pilots have had
    > to deal with that 'feature' of air travel.

    The fact that outdated air-traffic-control systems crash regularly is
    disturbing but not shocking.

    However I would imagine that the results of such crashes would be
    mostly boolean in nature, either you have it working mostly correctly
    or you don't have it at all (and know that you don't have it).

    Wouldn't a ATC system that is being operated with malicious intent to
    display subtly incorrect data in a way that makes it look good be far
    more dangerous than a ATC system that just dies randomly?

    -
    ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

    To unsubscribe email majordomoat_private with 'unsubscribe isn'
    in the BODY of the mail.