RE: [ISN] Why I should have the right to kill a malicious process on your machine

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Wed Jan 15 2003 - 23:12:34 PST

    Forwarded from: Jason Coombs <jasoncat_private>
    Cc: Thorat_private

    Aloha, Tim.

    Rights in and liability for abandoned property is a complex subject of
    law. Nobody would argue that you don't have the right to perform
    remote system administration on abandoned property that happens to
    still be connected to a power source and the Internet, but a server
    that has been owned by a worm or an anonymous third-party attacker is
    not clearly abandoned. As physical property it still belongs to its
    legal owner. If we allow anonymous remote system administration that
    is allegedly benign or even beneficial to information security why
    shouldn't we also encourage the coding of self-replicating concept
    worms and viruses that exploit security vulnerabilities for the sole
    purpose of demonstrating that such vulnerabilities exist?

    Code Red was a concept worm. It did no real harm. Its spread could
    have educated IIS administrators as to the threat of their unpatched
    boxes, but it didn't. Code Red II DID result in widespread awareness
    of the security risk of unpatched IIS boxes because it did cause
    widespread harm. It's not difficult to see the slippery slope that
    begins with your good intentions and ends with the logical conclusion
    that in order to cause real security for the good of your nation and
    the world, you have to write malicious code that self-replicates and
    causes global electronic paralysis. Otherwise nobody will listen,
    nobody will acknowledge the threat even though you see it clearly, and
    nobody will act to prevent more severe penetrations before they occur.

    When electronic trespassing is permitted in violation of other
    people's reasonable legal rights under the condition that the
    trespasser must be attempting to do something beneficial to the
    security of the property in which she trespasses the entire notion of
    illegal electronic trespassing disappears, to be replaced with
    forensic arguments made by expert witnesses in front of juries. You do
    not want a jury of your peers to decide whether or not the
    prosecution's interpretation of the computer evidence is accurate or
    whether your defense expert witness is correct in her forensic
    counter-analysis that proves your innocence. This is a losing
    situation for you, the accused, because law enforcement will always
    appear to be the more credible witness.

    "Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, who are you going to believe?
    THORat_private or the FBI?"

    Advocating white hack hacker penetrations of other people's property
    for the purpose of remote system administration also fails the common
    sense test. Common sense tells us that we can defend ourselves
    adequately from all of our badly-configured and compromised peers
    simply by unplugging our computers from the network that connects us
    to them. If the only viable solution to the world's information
    security problems includes automated legalized trespassing, then the
    world needs brand new computer products designed from the ground up
    with infosec in mind. The fact that we will soon see the first
    generation of these systems enter the marketplace may be proof of the
    fundamental insecurity of existing programmable computers; though the
    jury is still out deliberating this point.

    Sincerely,

    Jason Coombs
    jasoncat_private