[ISN] REVIEW: "PC Fear Factor", Alan Luber

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Sun Feb 02 2003 - 22:24:56 PST

    Forwarded from: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rsladeat_private>

    BKPCFRFC.RVW   20021219

    "PC Fear Factor", Alan Luber, 2003, 0-7897-2825-7,
    U$24.99/C$38.99/UK#17.99
    %A   Alan Luber www.alanluber.com
    %C   201 W. 103rd Street, Indianapolis, IN   46290
    %D   2003
    %G   0-7897-2825-7
    %I   Macmillan Computer Publishing (MCP)
    %O   U$24.99/C$38.99/UK#17.99 800-858-7674 infoat_private
    %O  http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0789728257/robsladesinterne
    %P   362 p.
    %T   "PC Fear Factor: The Ultimate PC Disaster Prevention Guide"

    The introduction states that the book is aimed at non-technical users,
    but doesn't further refine the purpose beyond saying that bad things
    happen to computers.  We are also told that a system administrator is
    really a risk manager (which may come as a surprise to a number of
    sysadmins), and that if you read this book you will never have to
    worry about computer disasters again.

    Even after reading chapter one I am not sure what the "root of all
    computer disasters" is, although I suppose that there is a fair chance
    that he means hard drives.  There is a lot of irrelevant detail about
    the physical operations of drives, and Luber also is obviously
    confused between old hard drive crashes (caused when the heads
    physically contacted the platter, which was spinning at high speed)
    and modern "crashes," generally caused by bad pointers or other data
    errors.  In chapter two, Luber recommends, with opinions, but not much
    in the way of proof or backup, a bunch of software.  Chapter three
    offers us more opinions, this time about buying a PC.  Setting up a
    new PC is covered in chapter four.  Most of chapter five prints
    documentation for a couple of antivirus programs and a firewall.  A
    decent discussion of backup strategy, and more documentation of a
    backup program, is in chapter six.  A manual for another backup
    program is in chapter seven.  Restoring a backup comes in chapter
    eight.  Chapter nine advises on maintenance.  Some hoary old myths
    about risky activities (using shareware, for example) are recycled in
    chapter ten.

    In one sense, Luber is right.  If you keep your data backed up, you
    will be able to recover from pretty much any kind of disaster.  On the
    other hand, I have said that in one sentence, and the book is over 300
    pages long.

    copyright Robert M. Slade, 2002   BKPCFRFC.RVW   20021219

    --
    rsladeat_private  rsladeat_private  sladeat_private p1at_private

    -
    ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

    To unsubscribe email majordomoat_private with 'unsubscribe isn'
    in the BODY of the mail.