Re: [ISN] Experts: Microsoft security gets an 'F'

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Tue Feb 04 2003 - 02:49:18 PST

    Forwarded from: Mark Bernard <mbernardat_private>

    Dear Associates,

    Actually this statement may not be far from the truth, however it
    needs to be quantified.

    Typically within the information security program framework we measure
    the success of any program by the reduction in the number of incidents
    of a specific targeted group. The question should be, has the number
    of occurrences of this particular type of incident been reduced
    overall?

    If the group making the statement has measured the success of the
    Microsoft's initiative against how many systems were actually infected
    they may be using the wrong set of quantifiable criteria, thus their
    statement would be unjustified. A typical program takes three years to
    mature and will need to be tweaked a couple times before it hit 100%
    of the target.

    I should also qualify my statement, I am in no way a Microsoft
    supporter. I truly believe that when a group dominates a market place
    such as Microsoft has, the market in question becomes unhealthy.
    However, that's good for information security professionals. More
    balance is necessary.

    Happy hunting!

    Mark.