RE: [ISN] Taking byte from Baghdad

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Tue Feb 11 2003 - 22:26:53 PST

    Forwarded from: Rob Rosenberger <junkmailat_private>

      >>specially designed computer viruses would infect the system from
      >>within. Agents inserted the virus in a printer shipped to an Iraqi
      >>air defense site.  The virus also was introduced via a fiber optic
      >>cable that connected air defense nodes. A Special Forces unit
      >>infiltrated Iraq, dug up the cable and inserted the virus. It
      >>remained dormant until the opening moments of the air war, when it

    Absolute BS.  It pegged Elias' BS meter, too.  The Air Force dweeb who
    wrote this got duped, pure and simple.  Read
    http://Vmyths.com/hoax.cfm?id=123&page=3 for the embarrassing truth
    about this April Fool's news story.

    The original version of this "fact" appeared in the U.S. Army's
    "Lessons Learned from the Gulf War" -- a classified document.  (sigh)
    It can't possibly be a hoax if it's classified, right?

    Rob

    (Iraq relied on Windows 3.x in 1991 during the Gulf War.  They
    networked all of their computers with fiber optic cables.  And their
    downfall came in the form of a printer virus!  God, I love this
    industry.  You tell whoppers with a perfectly straight face and then
    you wonder why users don't take you seriously...)

    -
    ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

    To unsubscribe email majordomoat_private with 'unsubscribe isn'
    in the BODY of the mail.