Re: [ISN] Sixth-grader charged in grade switch caper

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Mon Feb 17 2003 - 01:21:28 PST

    Forwarded from: LowVoltage <lowvoltageat_private>

    Jail Time! For doing what every sixth grader around the world wants to
    do - improve their marks?

    Praise the child for ingenuity and his social engineering skills.
    Scold the teacher for leaving her workstation unlocked and publically
    accessible.

    Sit the student down and explain to him from a moral perspective
    exactly why he shouldn't be changing his marks. Why did nobody tell
    him that he wasn't doing himself any good, and that he was depriving
    others of the fairness of the system?

    Sending a child like this to jail is NOT going to do any good to
    anyone.

    Obviously this 11 year old is still coming to an understanding of
    moral obligations. He saw the teacher uses the computer to change
    marks. He understands he can use the computer change his marks.
    Simple. Consequences were not considered. Of course they weren't.
    Children don't understand the choice -> action -> consequence cycle.

    LV.

    On Thu, 2003-02-13 at 11:28, InfoSec News wrote:
    > Forwarded from: William Knowles <wkat_private>
    >
    > http://www.gopbi.com/partners/pbpost/epaper/editions/wednesday/martin_stlucie_e394fc8032005260000b.html
    >
    > By Nirvi Shah
    > Palm Beach Post Staff Writer
    > Wednesday, February 12, 2003
    >
    > PORT ST. LUCIE -- While other students ate turkey tetrazzini in the
    > cafeteria, a St. Lucie West Middle sixth-grader used the excuse of
    > forgetting his lunch to return to his reading classroom and sat down
    > at his teacher's computer to change five reading assignment grades,
    > St. Lucie County sheriff's deputies said Tuesday.

    -
    ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

    To unsubscribe email majordomoat_private with 'unsubscribe isn'
    in the BODY of the mail.