[ISN] The First Honeyd Challenge

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Tue Feb 18 2003 - 00:44:35 PST

    Forwarded from: Niels Provos <provosat_private>

    [A little note that Mr. Spitzner would probably kill me over
    (or run me over with an Abrams M1 tank) if I didn't include is...
    How Honeyd works - http://online.securityfocus.com/infocus/1659  - WK]

    With the release of Honeyd 0.5 over the weekend, I am pleased to also
    announce the first Honeyd challenge!

    Honeyd is a virtual honeypot running as a small daemon to create
    virtual hosts on a network.  The hosts can be configured to run
    arbitrary services, and their personality can be adapted so that they
    appear to be running certain operating systems.

    The goal of this challenge is to develop interesting feature additions
    to Honeyd.  Possible improvements are forensic analysis tools for
    Honeyd log files, passive fingerprinting of connections, realistic
    routing topologies, etc.  Your submissions will be judged by a panel
    of experienced volunteers, rated, and shared with the security
    community.

    We are able to award prizes to the best submissions.  Top prizes
    include a free pass to CanSecWest/core03 including a free hotel room
    for up to four days, a $200 and a $100 Amazon gift certificate.
    Furthermore, the top ten entries receive a copy of Lance Spitzner's
    new book "Honeypots: Tracking Hackers," signed by Lance and me. Judges
    include:

     - Mike Clark
     - Job de Haas
     - Niels Provos
     - Rain Forest Puppy
     - Lance Spitzner

    The challenge officially begins on Monday the 17th of February.  You
    have four weeks to complete your submissions.  Please, send your
    results no later than 24:00 GMT, Friday, March 14th.  Submissions will
    be judged and released on Friday the 21th of March.  More information
    on the challenge and submission requirements can be found at

      http://www.citi.umich.edu/u/provos/honeyd/challenge.html

    All questions, concerns, and submissions should be sent with a subject
    including "Honeyd Challenge" to

      <provos-honeydat_private>

    We hope that you have fun with this challenge.  Our ultimate goal is
    to show the usefulness of tools like Honeyd, allow you to improve your
    understanding and share the lessons learned.

    Regards,
      Niels Provos.

    -
    ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

    To unsubscribe email majordomoat_private with 'unsubscribe isn'
    in the BODY of the mail.