RE: [ISN] Lost in cyberspace

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Tue Mar 11 2003 - 02:44:49 PST

    Forwarded from: Brendan Koerner <Koernerat_private>

    Ordinarily I wouldn't respond to such critiques, but the responses to
    my Slate piece contain several misrepresentations, fabrications, and
    other rhetorical tricks. I don't fancy myself particularly
    thin-skinned, but some of what was written really sticks in my craw.

    Let's start, quite appropriately, with the first response. Believe it
    or not, Mr. Huggins, I was not invited to help the government craft
    the Strategy. Does that somehow strip me of my right to comment on its
    focus and potential effectiveness? As for your additional comments
    about my caffeine and protest habits (both of which are quite wrong,
    BTW), what possible purpose do they serve? Such name-calling seems
    better suited to a cable-news talk show than a discussion list like
    ISN, methinks.

    Mr. Huggins also errs by assuming I'd object to some sort of federal
    security guidelines. Ah, but there's that rhetorical trick again--our
    opinions differ, so therefore I must be some EPIC-loving, tree-hugging
    pinko, huh? Always best to stick with what's in the article, rather
    than make inferences based on nothing more than supposition. If Uncle
    Sam were to come up with federal guidelines, I might actually
    applaud--provided they were crafted by more on-the-ball people than
    were responsible for the Strategy.

    Lastly, what the heck does this mean:

    > Attempt to utilize value input from real security experts than
    > publish what leaders from IBM MS and others tell them.

    I'll assume that there's a missing "rather" after expert, and an
    extraneous "value." If it's your sincere belief that the document does
    this, Mr. Huggins, then I'd be delighted to hear exactly what
    revelatory security measures the Strategy recommends. As far as I can
    tell (and I read the report several times, cover to cover), the best
    thing it's got going is the call for better sysadmin training. What
    about the other 74-and-a-half pages?

    (BTW, quite bold of Mr. Huggins to vow that a "true snapshot of what
    can happen" will occur this year. Readers of the article will recall
    this is eerily similar to what the Business Software Alliance said
    back in February of 2002. Wagers, anyone?)

    Mr. Ellingson tries to inject a not-so-subtle plug for his company by
    spinning out the notion of how stolen credit-card numbers can abet
    terrorists. Let's put aside the fact, briefly, that I do bring up the
    financial theft issue in the piece. (With a hyperlinked plug for my
    own Legal Affairs piece on Russian cybercrime--I, too, suffer from the
    disease of self-promotion.) Is Mr. Ellingson's argument that hackers
    abetted the 9/11 hijackers by swiping them new identities? Maybe I'm
    living in a very dark place, but this is news to me. And is the
    inference that better computer security would have prevented 9/11?

    I am not "ignoring the problem," per Mr. Ellingson's words. I am,
    instead, questioning the true nature of that problem, and whether the
    government is taking the right approach to improving computer
    security. To focus our efforts (including hundreds of millions of
    dollars) on supporting NIPC and the like, with an eye toward keeping
    some mythical Al Qaeda hacker from opening Hoover Dam, while failing
    to patch very basic server holes at Citibank is sheer lunacy.

    Mr. Reed also uses the classic "strawman" critical approach by
    inferring that I'm the sort of person who said airplanes could never
    be used as weapons, or that Japan couldn't attack Pearl Harbor. Both
    assertions are nonsense, of course--I never believed anything akin to
    the former, and I wasn't alive in the early 1940s. Mr. Reed offers no
    actual evidence as to why my assertions are incorrect, just a vague
    guess that I don't understand the difference between threats and
    vulnerabilities.

    Would it be overly cynical of me to assume that MITRE has a vested
    interest in amping up fear of cyberterrorism? Perhaps, and my
    apologies to Mr. Reed if this seems overly snarky. But I'm a big
    believer in "truth in advertising," which is why I took the Strategy
    to task for its plethora of factual distortions and FUD.

    Believe me, I'm all for better security. But I still can't figure out
    how the FUD-filled Strategy points us in the right direction.

    Cheers,
    Brendan