[ISN] Does the End Justify the Means?

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Tue Mar 18 2003 - 05:37:23 PST

    By Patrick Di Justo
    March 18, 2003

    If you can read this, you're probably not in Myanmar.

    That country's military junta has blocked Internet access to Wired
    News, as well as to most porn sites and to the website of the Free
    Burma Coalition.

    If you're in China or Saudi Arabia, you'll have a hard time viewing
    anti-government websites and Internet porn. And if you're surfing the
    Net from one of 40 percent of the libraries or schools in the United
    States, don't expect access to websites hosted on Tripod or Geocities.

    The University of Toronto's Internet Censorship Explorer permits
    anyone with a Web browser to test the limits of certain national and
    organizational Internet-blocking schemes. Users simply enter a target
    URL and a country into a search field on the Censorship Explorer's
    website. The software then scans the ports of available servers in
    that country, looking for open ones. By using the foreign computer as
    a proxy server, ICE then attempts to visit the target URL from behind
    that country's firewall. The result is either the visible website or a
    "page blocked" message is then returned to the user.

    Project director Ronald Diebert knows that by using port-scanning
    technology, he's operating in a gray area.

    "Network security administrators often look upon port scanning as
    surface evidence of malicious hacking," he said. "However, port
    scanning alone is not a crime in Canada or the United States."

    His use of proxy servers is a bit more controversial, he said. "We do
    not have explicit prior permission to use the computers. However, we
    are assuming that if a port is left open, it is intended to be used as
    a proxy and is configured as such."

    Computer security professionals, though, do not look kindly at that
    assumption.

    "This to me is no different than hacking," said Jon Asdourian, a
    computer forensics examiner with Stroz-Friedberg. "They're obviously
    using resources that would not normally be available. Using someone
    else's resources without their knowledge is abhorrent to us."

    Richard Mason, director of the Maguire Center for Ethics at Southern
    Methodist University, said that the issue is murky. "They're asking an
    ethical question of censorship within a country, which is a good
    thing. On the other hand there's an element of deception to it."

    Diebert defends the project as being for the greater good. "We do not
    intend to use these tools to damage or steal data, or reveal
    information about system vulnerabilities. Our aim is to empirically
    study Internet content filtering, and this is the only way it can be
    done without partners on the ground."

    Diebert has written a six-point statement of principles that all his
    researchers must follow. They are absolutely forbidden to damage the
    proxy servers they find open. Deibert has also let the computer
    administrators at the University of Toronto know about the project.

    "I feel strongly about the value of this type of research," Diebert
    said. "Uncovering censorship and surveillance practices is fair game."

    Using ICE, Diebert and his team have discovered that pornography and
    government criticism are the subjects most frequently blocked by
    non-democratic countries. China's blocking techniques keep out
    everything from Playboy.com to Friends of Falun Gong to the Dalai
    Lama's website.

    Chinese officials insist such techniques do not amount to censorship.

    "We don't have censorship of the Internet," said Larry Wu, second
    secretary for Science and Technology at the Embassy of the People's
    Republic of China in Washington. "Generally, the Chinese government is
    for the full exchange of information. We have full freedom of speech,
    freedom of the press. However, we have our own understanding of what
    is a limitation of the freedom of speech. So we do use techniques to
    block certain websites, as well as we try to block spam."

    Nail Al-Jubier, a spokesperson for the Embassy of the Kingdom of Saudi
    Arabia, admits that his government regulates Internet access.

    "The overwhelming number of blocked sites are pornography," Al-Jubier
    said. "Some websites that are deemed un-Islamic -- those that promote
    violence -- are blocked because of the standards of the community.
    Some parents don't want their children going online if these are the
    things they can see."

    Al-Jubier denies that Saudi Arabia blocks sites deemed politically
    objectionable, but admits that sometimes mistakes happen. "One time
    Fox News was blocked and we didn't know why, but we manually unblocked
    (it)."

    He added that Saudi citizens who want to avoid the government Net
    censorship can always dial up through America Online to Bahrain or
    Dubai.

    Diebert has plans to modify his Internet Censorship Explorer so it
    operates as a distributed computing-type project, like SETI@Home, that
    would let Internet users worldwide search for and find available proxy
    servers in target countries. He plans to keep ICE running "as long as
    there is Internet censorship and surveillance worldwide."

    -
    ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

    To unsubscribe email majordomoat_private with 'unsubscribe isn'
    in the BODY of the mail.