[ISN] Cyberwarriors guard virtual front

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Tue Apr 01 2003 - 01:46:37 PST

    http://www.fcw.com/fcw/articles/2003/middle_east/web-warriors-03-31-03.asp

    By Dan Caterinicchia
    March 31, 2003

    FARWANIYA, Kuwait - As coalition forces continue to engage the enemy
    throughout Iraq, the number of battles being fought in cyberspace also
    has risen, according to one Army information assurance officer.

    Col. Mark Spillers, information assurance program manager in the
    Coalition Forces Land Component Command communications office at Camp
    Doha, Kuwait, said there has been a slight increase in cyberattacks
    against coalition systems since Operation Iraqi Freedom began, "but
    all along there have been pretty active attempts."

    "These could be casual [probes], and sometimes we don't know if it's
    hackers trying to come in or simple scans," Spillers said during a
    March 29 phone interview. If a device is thought to be compromised, it
    is immediately isolated, taken off the network and scanned for
    viruses, but "we've done well to prevent that from becoming a
    problem."

    Spillers, a reservist with the 335th Signal Command in Atlanta, has
    been in Kuwait for about two months. He said he could not go into any
    details about how the Army is protecting its systems or if any have
    been compromised, but he noted, "We're holding our own."

    "With anything with cyberwarfare, the enemy is all around and we're
    constantly working to stay one step ahead of them," he said. "Sensors
    are constantly monitoring for scans or intrusion attempts against us."

    On the physical battlefield, if troops are in danger of being
    defeated, procedures are in place to safeguard or even destroy
    endangered equipment and systems to keep sensitive data from falling
    into enemy hands.

    For example, machines linked to the Defense Department's Secret
    Internet Protocol Router Network have removable hard drives, Spillers
    said, adding that similar protections exist for cryptographic tools in
    the field.

    In addition to blocking electronic hacking and physical attempts to
    overrun their systems, the Army also must protect its information
    technology equipment from another constant nuisance: sand. When
    equipment is moved, it is kept covered, and cans of compressed air are
    constantly used to blow sand and dust out of keyboards and other
    devices. Back at the camps, most servers, routers and PCs are kept in
    environmentally controlled facilities, Spillers said, adding that
    excessive heat is also a growing concern.

    "In general, we've had several years' experience with this going back
    to the Gulf War, and we've done a good job keeping [problems caused
    by] environmental conditions to a minimum," he said.

    If a machine does break down, he said the service follows
    fix-and-replace procedures specific to the equipment. A help desk is
    set up at Camp Doha to deal with IT issues, and he said the Army has a
    "very decentralized network support structure" so forward-deployed
    computer users can get their questions answered and problems fixed at
    a local level.

    -
    ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

    To unsubscribe email majordomoat_private with 'unsubscribe isn'
    in the BODY of the mail.