[ISN] Security UPDATE, April 2, 2003

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Thu Apr 03 2003 - 02:13:33 PST

    FREE Security Compliance Audit for Windows
       http://list.winnetmag.com/cgi-bin3/flo/y/eQJt0CJgSH0CBw076f0AK

    Windows & .NET Magazine Connections
       http://list.winnetmag.com/cgi-bin3/flo/y/eQJt0CJgSH0CBw0KXQ0Ar
       (below IN FOCUS)

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~ SPONSOR: FREE SECURITY COMPLIANCE AUDIT FOR WINDOWS ~~~~
       Are your critical Windows machines protected from the next Nimbda,
    Code Red or SQL Slammer attacks? Why not find out? Take advantage of
    our FREE Security Compliance Audit available through our 15-day
    product evaluation for your 5 most critical Windows machines. In just
    minutes PatchWorks will analyze your systems and generate a policy
    conformance report! Click here to eliminate vulnerabilities today:
       http://list.winnetmag.com/cgi-bin3/flo/y/eQJt0CJgSH0CBw076f0AK
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    April 2, 2003--In this issue:

    1. IN FOCUS
         - Jumping the Gun on Vulnerability Disclosure

    2. SECURITY RISKS
         - DoS in Microsoft RPC Endpoint Mapper
         - DoS in Check Point VPN-1/FireWall-1 Client Component

    3. ANNOUNCEMENT
         - Sample Our Security Administrator Newsletter!

    4. SECURITY ROUNDUP
         - News: RPC Vulnerability Threatens Windows with DoS Attacks
         - News: Code Execution Vulnerability in Windows Script Engine
         - News: Secunia Launches New Security Advisories Service

    5. INSTANT POLL
         - Results of Previous Poll: WebDAV and IIS
         - New Instant Poll: WEP and WPA

    6. SECURITY TOOLKIT
         - Virus Center
         - FAQ: Why Am I Receiving Event ID Errors 5737 and 7023 on My
           Windows 2000 Server Service Pack 2 (SP2) System?

    7. NEW AND IMPROVED
         - Event Management in an Appliance
         - Spam Filtering as a Service
         - Submit Top Product Ideas

    8. HOT THREAD
         - Windows & .NET Magazine Online Forums
             - Featured Thread: How Do You Print the GPO?

    9. CONTACT US
       See this section for a list of ways to contact us.

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    1. ==== IN FOCUS ====
       (contributed by Mark Joseph Edwards, News Editor,
    markat_private)

    * JUMPING THE GUN ON VULNERABILITY DISCLOSURE

    Last week, in my Security UPDATE commentary "Security Research: A
    Double-Edged Sword," I discussed how researchers discover security
    problems and work with vendors to coordinate information and patch
    release--to minimize networks' exposure to a given discovery. A recent
    case in point illustrates how jumping the gun on information
    disclosure can occur when well-intentioned researchers become
    impatient.
       http://www.secadministrator.com/articles/index.cfm?articleid=38448

    This past Saturday, while most working people on the planet were
    enjoying their weekends, a researcher posted a message to the BugTraq
    mailing list about a vulnerability in Sendmail. As you know, Sendmail
    is one of the most widely used SMTP mail systems, and although
    Sendmail was written to run primarily on UNIX systems, various vendors
    port the code to Windows platforms. The researcher had discovered a
    problem in Sendmail stemming from insufficient bounds checking during
    character-to-integer conversions that might lead to a buffer overflow
    and subsequent compromise of a given Sendmail system.

    The researcher had contacted Sendmail.org on March 18 about his
    discovery, and the group replied the following day acknowledging the
    problem and stating that it would release an updated version of the
    product. However, if I understand the situation correctly, the updated
    release was not posted immediately for reasons internal to
    Sendmail.org, which I assume involve coordinating efforts with
    third-party vendors and Sendmail software users. When after 11 days
    (March 29) the new version wasn't posted, the researcher decided to
    post a notice about the problem to BugTraq, basically stating that he
    was "forced" to release details of the problem. Again, I assume the
    researcher's intent was to put pressure on the Sendmail vendor.

    With the bug now exposed to the public, Sendmail immediately--on March
    29--released its updated product version (8.12.9) and posted a brief
    comment: "We apologize for releasing this information today
    (2003-03-29) but we were forced to do so by an e-mail on a public
    mailing list which contains information about the security flaw."
    Sendmail wasn't entirely ready to release its updated version, but
    apparently Sendmail had corrected the problem in the code and had a
    new version it could release. I don't know the exact reasons for the
    11-day delay, but again, I suspect Sendmail needed the time for
    testing and coordination--because Sendmail is bundled with various
    OSs.
       http://www.sendmail.org/8.12.9.html

    Jumping the gun in this way is unfortunate. This instance seems to
    have been the result of a communication breakdown. Could the
    researcher have exercised more responsibility, patience, and restraint
    before forcing the vendor's release of updated code by posting
    information about the bug to the public? Did the researcher consider
    the potential ramifications of the disclosure--how many others it
    might affect? Could Sendmail have kept in better touch as time passed,
    letting the researcher know a projected date of release?

    Although this set of events might seem minor to some people, it could
    lead to severe problems across the Internet for millions of people.
    What if attackers used the bug to crash mail systems or to take over
    servers? Such events cost time, money, and frustration, and a
    discloser might face legal ramifications. Right now, given the state
    of world affairs, one act--tossing a particular pebble of information
    into the sea of technology--could potentially cause a tsunami.

    On another note, 2 weeks ago in the Security UPDATE commentary "Audit
    Your Windows Shares" (see the URL below) I mentioned CERT's notice
    about several Denial of Service (DoS) programs plaguing Windows
    systems. What I didn't tell you is that many such DoS programs have
    incorporated a perfectly legitimate network administration tool,
    PsExec, which Sysinternals created.
       http://www.secadministrator.com/articles/index.cfm?articleid=38387

    According to the Sysinternals Web site, "PsExec is a light-weight
    telnet-replacement that lets you execute processes on other systems,
    complete with full interactivity for console applications, without
    having to manually install client software. PsExec's most powerful
    uses include launching interactive command-prompts on remote systems
    and remote-enabling tools like IpConfig that otherwise do not have the
    ability to show information about remote systems." Essentially, you
    can use PsExec instead of tools such as Telnet or Symantec's
    pcAnywhere.
       http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/psexec.shtml

    Mark Russinovich, cofounder of Sysinternals and author for Windows &
    .NET Magazine, wrote to remind me about another Sysinternals tool.
    Although system attackers use PsExec to exploit Windows systems,
    Sysinternals' ShareEnum program can help users audit their shared
    resources and tighten security. Doing so can help administrators
    ensure that intruders will have a hard time inserting DoS programs
    into users' systems. Be sure to check out ShareEnum, which is
    available for free (the complete source code is also available).
       http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/shareenum.shtml

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~ SPONSOR: WINDOWS & .NET MAGAZINE CONNECTIONS ~~~~
        WINDOWS & .NET MAGAZINE CONNECTIONS: WIN A FLORIDA VACATION
        Simply the best lineup of technical training for today's Windows
    IT professional. Register now for this exclusive opportunity to learn
    in-person from the Windows & .NET Magazine writers you trust.
    Attendees will have a chance to win a free Florida vacation for two.
    Register today and you'll also save $300.
       http://list.winnetmag.com/cgi-bin3/flo/y/eQJt0CJgSH0CBw0KXQ0Ar
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    2. ==== SECURITY RISKS ====
       (contributed by Ken Pfeil, kenat_private)

    * DoS IN MICROSOFT RPC ENDPOINT MAPPER
       Jussi Jaakonaho discovered a new vulnerability in the part of
    remote procedure call (RPC) that handles message exchange over TCP/IP.
    This vulnerability, a result of incorrect handling of malformed
    messages, could result in a Denial of Service (DoS) condition. An
    attacker could exploit this vulnerability by establishing a TCP/IP
    connection to the Endpoint Mapper process on a remote machine and
    transmitting a malformed message. At this point, the process on the
    remote machine would fail. Microsoft has released Security Bulletin
    MS03-010 (Flaw in RPC Endpoint Mapper Could Allow Denial of Service
    Attacks) to address this vulnerability and recommends that affected
    users immediately apply the patch mentioned in the bulletin.
       http://www.secadministrator.com/articles/index.cfm?articleid=38456

    * DoS IN CHECK POINT VPN-1/FIREWALL-1 CLIENT COMPONENT
       Dr. Peter Bieringer of AERAsec Network Services and Security
    discovered a vulnerability in Check Point VPN-1/FireWall-1 Client
    component versions earlier than Feature Pack 3 (FP3) Hotfix-2 that
    could result in a Denial of Service (DoS) condition. By sending
    excessive amounts of data through a syslog connection, an attacker can
    cause the SmartView Tracker logging mechanism on the target firewall
    to experience high CPU utilization rates. According to AERAsec, these
    rates can cause SmartView Tracker to crash without notice, and the
    service must be manually restarted. The vendor, Check Point Software
    Technologies, has released Hotfix-2 to address this vulnerability and
    recommends that affected users immediately apply the patch mentioned
    in the bulletin.
       http://www.secadministrator.com/articles/index.cfm?articleid=38428

    3. ==== ANNOUNCEMENT ====
       (brought to you by Windows & .NET Magazine and its partners)

    * SAMPLE OUR SECURITY ADMINISTRATOR NEWSLETTER!
       If you spend the better part of your day dealing with security
    concerns such as controlling user access, viruses, and tightening your
    network's permeability, then you can benefit from the type of
    information we publish each month in Security Administrator. Every
    issue shows you how to protect your enterprise with informative,
    in-depth articles, timely tips, and practical advice. Sample our most
    recent issue today!
       http://list.winnetmag.com/cgi-bin3/flo/y/eQJt0CJgSH0CBw08XJ0AR

    4. ==== SECURITY ROUNDUP ====

    * NEWS: RPC VULNERABILITY THREATENS WINDOWS WITH DoS ATTACKS
       A recently discovered vulnerability in the remote procedure call
    (RPC) subsystem in Windows XP, Windows 2000, and Windows NT can make
    those OSs susceptible to Denial of Service (DoS) attacks, according to
    Microsoft. The company has already created a patch for XP and Win2K
    users. However, it says that major changes in the way RPC works since
    the release of NT 4.0 prevent it from creating a patch for that OS. NT
    4.0 users can use the workaround described on the Microsoft site.
       http://www.secadministrator.com/articles/index.cfm?articleid=38452

    * NEWS: CODE EXECUTION VULNERABILITY IN WINDOWS SCRIPT ENGINE
       If you run Microsoft SQL Server on Windows, you need to know that a
    new vulnerability in Windows Script Engine can result in the execution
    of arbitrary code on the vulnerable system. The vulnerability stems
    from the way Windows Script Engine for JScript processes information.
    Use the URL below to find more information about the vulnerability and
    to reach download sites.
       http://www.secadministrator.com/articles/index.cfm?articleid=38459

    * NEWS: SECUNIA LAUNCHES NEW SECURITY ADVISORIES SERVICE
       Secunia has launched a new mailing list, called Secunia Security
    Advisories, which consolidates security vulnerability information from
    a variety of sources. The company is making its advisories available
    through email, its Web site, and an affiliate network.
       http://www.secadministrator.com/articles/index.cfm?articleid=38450

    5. ==== INSTANT POLL ====

    * RESULTS OF PREVIOUS POLL: WEBDAV AND IIS
       The voting has closed in Windows & .NET Magazine's Security
    Administrator Channel nonscientific Instant Poll for the question,
    "Does your company use WWW Distributed Authoring and Versioning
    (WebDAV) with Microsoft IIS?" Here are the results from the 151 votes.

       - 11% Yes
       - 81% No
       -  7% I'm not sure
    (Deviations from 100 percent are due to rounding.)

    * NEW INSTANT POLL: WEP and WPA
       The next Instant Poll question is, "Will your company replace Wired
    Equivalent Privacy (WEP) with Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA)?" Go to the
    Security Administrator Channel home page and submit your vote for a)
    Yes, b) No, c) No--We're waiting for 802.11i, or d) Undecided.
       http://www.secadministrator.com

    6. ==== SECURITY TOOLKIT ====

    * VIRUS CENTER
       Panda Software and the Windows & .NET Magazine Network have teamed
    to bring you the Center for Virus Control. Visit the site often to
    remain informed about the latest threats to your system security.
       http://www.secadministrator.com/panda

    * FAQ: Why Am I Receiving Event ID Errors 5737 and 7023 on My Windows
    2000 Server Service Pack 2 (SP2) System?
       ( contributed by John Savill, http://www.windows2000faq.com )

    A. Event ID 5737 is an unspecified Netlogon service error, and event
    ID 7023 is a Kerberos Key Distribution service error. Both errors
    result from a corrupt or missing rsaenh.dll file, which is the
    Microsoft Enhanced Cryptographic Provider, and they prevent the
    services from starting. Win2K SP2 automatically upgrades the system to
    128-bit encryption. In so doing, the service pack attempts to install
    the rsaenh.dll file. To resolve the problem, copy the rsaenh.dll file
    from another server or from the extracted service pack.

    7. ==== NEW AND IMPROVED ====
       (contributed by Sue Cooper, productsat_private)

    * EVENT MANAGEMENT IN AN APPLIANCE
       Network Intelligence is shipping enVision-LS, a Windows 2000
    Server-based appliance that provides security event and network event
    management with guaranteed levels of performance. Features include a
    Web-based UI; realtime analysis for cross-device event correlation and
    alerting; the ability to perform ad hoc queries and automatic
    scheduling of included reports; realtime data encryption and
    compression; granular, role-based multiuser support; and integration
    with other network operations solutions. enVision-LS supports leading
    security and networking devices and most host OSs out of the box.
    Contact Network Intelligence at 508-668-2460 and
    sales@network-intelligence.com.
       http://www.network-intelligence.com

    * SPAM FILTERING AS A SERVICE
       Trend Micro announced the Trend Micro Spam Prevention Service
    (SPS), designed to block spam at the gateway and to interoperate with
    the company's antivirus and content security products. SPS is based on
    Postini's proven heuristic technology antispam filtering rules, in an
    exclusive agreement with the email security service provider. After
    SPS defines a message as spam, you can take predefined actions, such
    as tagging, delivering, or rerouting the message. You can configure
    spam prevention in the following categories: hate mail, get rich quick
    solicitations, sexual content, bulk mail, and commercial. Trend Micro
    Spam Prevention Service for Sun Solaris is now available. Support for
    Windows and Linux platforms is planned for second quarter 2003.
    Pricing begins at $30 per user per year, for 25 users. Contact Trend
    Micro at 888-588-7363.
       http://www.trendmicro.com

    * SUBMIT TOP PRODUCT IDEAS
       Have you used a product that changed your IT experience by saving
    you time or easing your daily burden? Do you know of a terrific
    product that others should know about? Tell us! We want to write about
    the product in a future What's Hot column. Send your product
    suggestions to whatshotat_private

    8. ==== HOT THREAD ====

    * WINDOWS & .NET MAGAZINE ONLINE FORUMS
       http://www.winnetmag.com/forums

    Featured Thread: How Do You Print the GPO?
       (Four messages in this thread)

    A user wants to print out the entire Group Policy Object (GPO) of each
    container and compare those GPOs to the other GPOs in the tree. Having
    a printout of enabled options would be helpful to eliminate
    duplication. He tried to use the "Microsoft Windows 2000 Resource Kit"
    utilities GPRESULT and GPTOOL, but neither tool gives him the same
    settings that he sees in the GPO editor. He also tried to use the
    EXPORT option in the GPO editor, but that listed only the options for
    each category. Does anyone know of a Microsoft utility or a
    third-party utility that will help? Lend a hand or read the responses:
       http://www.winnetmag.com/forums/rd.cfm?cid=42&tid=46780

    9. ==== CONTACT US ====
       Here's how to reach us with your comments and questions:

    * ABOUT IN FOCUS -- markat_private

    * ABOUT THE NEWSLETTER IN GENERAL -- lettersat_private (please
    mention the newsletter name in the subject line)

    * TECHNICAL QUESTIONS -- http://www.winnetmag.com/forums

    * PRODUCT NEWS -- productsat_private

    * QUESTIONS ABOUT YOUR SECURITY UPDATE SUBSCRIPTION? Customer
    Support -- securityupdateat_private

    * WANT TO SPONSOR SECURITY UPDATE? emedia_oppsat_private

    ********************
       This email newsletter is brought to you by Security Administrator,
    the print newsletter with independent, impartial advice for IT
    administrators securing a Windows 2000/Windows NT enterprise.
    Subscribe today!
       http://www.secadministrator.com/sub.cfm?code=saei25xxup

       Receive the latest information about the Windows and .NET topics of
    your choice. Subscribe to our other FREE email newsletters.
       http://www.winnetmag.com/email

    |-+-|-+-|-+-|-+-|-+-|

    Thank you for reading Security UPDATE.

    MANAGE YOUR ACCOUNT
       You can manage your entire Windows & .NET Magazine Network email
    newsletter account on our Web site. Simply log on and you can change
    your email address, update your profile information, and subscribe or
    unsubscribe to any of our email newsletters all in one place.
       http://www.winnetmag.com/email

    Thank you!
    Copyright 2003, Penton Media, Inc.

    -
    ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

    To unsubscribe email majordomoat_private with 'unsubscribe isn'
    in the BODY of the mail.