[ISN] Wireless Security Steps Up at West Point, Home

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Thu Apr 03 2003 - 22:53:06 PST

    http://eprairie.com/news/viewnews.asp?newsletterID=4540

    Spiro Papadopoulos
    ePrairie.com
    4/3/2003

    CHICAGO - In last week's column, I blithely mentioned that military
    use of 802.11 isn't ready for prime time due to security gaps in
    current technology.

    While I maintain that a rush to deploy Wi-Fi on highly data-sensitive
    networks in both the private and government sector is still a ways
    away, there is no denying that most organizations that have installed
    or are planning to deploy wireless networks are in desperate need
    (whether they are aware of it or not) of adequately securing their
    networks.

    Maybe we should look to the government for some help. The U.S.
    Military Academy at West Point has recently rolled out a secure
    802.11a wireless network in its classrooms that is allegedly producing
    a much richer classroom experience for a thousand or so cadets. I
    suspect the gravitational pull toward Web surfing during a Monday
    morning physics lecture is quite strong.

    So how did West Point address security? It chose a wireless product
    from Cranite Systems. The product, called the "Wireless Wall Software
    Suite," actually consists of three components:

    1. A policy server that works with an existing directory and supports
       the characteristics of each wireless connection on the network.

    2. An access controller that encrypts and decrypts authorized traffic
       and allows users to roam across subnets in the network.

    3. Client software that ensures a secure tunnel to the access
       controller.

    Marc Sokol, a partner at Chicago-based venture capital firm JK&B
    Capital, says he is impressed with the technology so much so that his
    firm participated in Cranite's most recent third round of funding. He
    says Wireless Wall is unique because "it's a layer 2 software solution
    that enables users to roam between access points seamlessly. A
    solution must be layer 2 [for it to be secure]."

    He's not the only one who thinks highly of the product. Last week,
    Cranite was granted Federal Information Processing Standard (FIPS)
    certification by the U.S. government. The certification is a notable
    milestone because the government mandates this seal of approval for
    its own cryptography-related purchases.

    The approval now opens a big door to government coffers. In fact,
    Cranite is partnering with HP to sell the solution to government
    agencies and is working with other value-added resellers (VARs) and
    system integrators to sell the solution to enterprise businesses.

    While that's great news for those who can afford the protection, what
    about security on home wireless networks? For the most part, users
    still don't have many options beyond traditional wired equivalent
    privacy (WEP) and virtual private networks (VPNs).

    I'm bringing this up as a reminder that WEP is still a good option for
    warding off the casual intruder and should be enabled at your home or
    office in the absence of a more robust security system. Think of it
    like having The Club on your network. Just keep in mind that a
    determined thief will find a way around almost any security measure.

    Speaking of home networks, I'd be remiss if I didn't comment on
    Cisco's recent acquisition of Linksys. In the short term, it's a solid
    and easy deal. With its strong presence in the home and small office
    networking market, Linksys will complement Cisco's dominance at the
    high end of the market.

    Seems simple enough. For now, Cisco has no plans on rebranding Linksys
    products under the Cisco name. Linksys will currently operate as an
    independent entity within Cisco. But for how long? Looking out two
    years from now, the picture of the networked home becomes muddled.

    A Cisco executive has recently said that the home networking market is
    at an inflection point in terms of mass appeal. He is correct.

    My question is whether Cisco is the right company to take advantage of
    the latest must-have home item. In one respect, the answer is yes.
    Since Cisco already sells high-end gear to cable companies, it's in a
    good position to start striking deals with the likes of Comcast and
    begin bundling equipment into people's homes.

    Another part of me says this won't be so easy. Have you ever taken a
    hard look at the industrial design of a Linksys access point? Though
    Louis Sullivan might nod in approval, Steve Jobs must go into
    convulsions when he sees one.

    My point is that up until now, wireless local-area networks (LANs)
    have been the domain of geeks. It has only been a recent phenomena for
    non-techie people to venture out to Best Buy on their own to purchase
    and install wireless LANs. That will change, though, as the systems
    become easier to install.

    So here we are on the cusp of mass appeal for wireless home networks.
    At this point, I refuse to believe that Cisco will be best positioned
    to serve those consumers in the long term.

    If I had to predict a long-term winner in the home networking market
    in five years, I would pick Sony because it has all the pieces to the
    puzzle (gaming, content, PCs and consumer electronics). With a huge
    cash horde and a proven willingness to enter emerging markets,
    Microsoft would be my other pick.

    -
    ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

    To unsubscribe email majordomoat_private with 'unsubscribe isn'
    in the BODY of the mail.