[ISN] Lawmaker Stopped at City Hall For No ID

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Wed Apr 09 2003 - 03:25:41 PDT

    http://www.fredericksburg.com/News/apmethods/apstory?urlfeed=D7Q99KU01.xml

    The Associated Press
    April 8, 2003

    TUCSON, Ariz. - A Tucson city councilman was denied access to City
    Hall when he arrived early for a meeting without his city ID badge or
    driver's license.

    Jose Ibarra, an eight-year council member, was stopped on Monday when
    he was unable to show security guards an acceptable form of
    identification after leaving his wallet at home — although his picture
    hangs with those of the other council members on the lobby wall near
    the security checkpoint.

    Ibarra said he went to City Hall early to do some business at the
    payroll office before the 11:30 a.m. council meeting. He said three
    different security officers refused him admission.

    He said the guards finally let him in when his wife arrived and
    persuaded them to accept her identification for both of them.

    But Ibarra's difficulties continued after he finished at the payroll
    office. Ibarra said his wife left after their business was completed,
    and the councilman planned to take his seat early in the council
    chambers to review some material.

    However, a security guard and a city maintenance worker again refused
    to allow him through a back entrance reserved for elected officials.

    Ibarra said he ultimately had to wait for 45 minutes outside a public
    entrance to the meeting room.

    "I think we're going a little too far," Ibarra said of the city's
    stepped-up security. "I need to remind everybody City Hall is a public
    building, for the public."

    City Clerk Kathy Detrick, who is responsible for City Hall security,
    said she's sorry about what happened to Ibarra, but the need to
    monitor building entrants is "the reality of the times we live in."

    She said Monday's events show that the security policy is effective.

    -
    ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

    To unsubscribe email majordomoat_private with 'unsubscribe isn'
    in the BODY of the mail.