[ISN] More problems with SpamCop, go figure.

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Thu Apr 10 2003 - 00:22:50 PDT

    Forwarded from: security curmudgeon <jerichoat_private>
    To: Declan McCullagh <declanat_private>
    cc: InfoSec News <isnat_private>, <abuseat_private>,
       <abuseat_private>, <abuseat_private>

    Once again, we have been flagged as spammers by the cluebags over at
    spamcop.net, who we have had a run-in or two with before. This time,
    they go even above and beyond their previous levels of stupidity.

    For the past year, I have been agressive on reporting spam and
    maintaining a custom list of blocked domains/relays that is used on
    attrition.org. For every piece of spam that came in, I would blackhole
    them on our system, then report them to abuse@(their isp). I would
    send all Nigerian Scam mail to the appropriate address at treasury.gov
    (419.fcdat_private). For domains that didn't maintain
    abuse/postmaster contacts, I would report them to rfc-ignorant.org and
    further blacklist their entire domain from mailing attrition. WHat did
    this behavior get me? Listed on spamcop *again*.

    http://spamcop.net/w3m?action=checkblock&ip=66.80.146.7

    Notice the two pieces of mail they show currently. Both of them are my
    reports of spam to other ISPs. In each case, I mailed their abuse@
    contact, included full headers, and prefaced the subject with "SPAM:"
    so they could clearly identify the mail. Given that I am reporting the
    mail TO THEM via their abuse contact, the headers have THEIR IP space,
    it should be trivial to understand what is happening here. Instead,
    globalvision.net and infosat.net apparently felt the need to send my
    mail in and complain of spamming.

    Here is the mail I sent to the abuse address at globalvision.net
    (still in my sent-mail). In turn for me reporting globalvision spam,
    they send my complaint to spamcop reporting *me* for spamming. And as
    we all know, spamcop will play the part of the blind sheep and
    dutifully blackhole us w/o question, even though they KNOW (from
    previous contact) we are as anti-spam as you can get. Their claims of
    not being able to change their system are complete lies, as the most
    trivial system can account for whitelisting domains.

    Of course, what is SpamCop's stance on this?

    http://spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/298.html

    In short, "too bad", I have no recourse for their stupidity. I'm still
    amazed that anyone would support these ass clowns in any way.

    Brian Martin
    Attrition.org

    ps: if anyone from spamcop bothers to reply, do so from a different
    domain. you have been blacklisted on attrition.org since Oct 1, 2000
    for your past antics, lack of cooperation in resolving this same type
    of issue, and for *spamming us* (ironic eh?).