[ISN] Expert at 17, will lecture IT big wigs on Net security

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Wed Apr 16 2003 - 00:57:23 PDT

    http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/cms.dll/html/uncomp/articleshow?artid=43502897

    TIMES NEWS NETWORK
    APRIL 15, 2003

    AHMEDABAD: If a teenager decides to lecture experienced information
    technology (IT) professionals on internet security, he is considered
    either too arrogant or ill-informed. But when a 17-year-old Gujarati
    boy from New Delhi, Ankit Fadia, speaks at a special seminar in
    Ahmedabad on Wednesday, there will be many well-known names from the
    industry in the audience to listen to him.

    Members of the Gujarat Electronics & Software Industries Association,
    the Computer Society of India and students are expected to attend the
    seminar.

    Ankit may have given his standard XII board exams only recently, but
    is already considered an expert on Net security issues, especially
    hacking. And for those who think he is just another 'hack', here is a
    reality check.

    Ankit has already published some books on the subject and was named
    person of the year by the Limca Book of Records last year.

    Those in the IT security industry know Ankit quite well, but for those
    who don't, he is a Gujarati, was born in Ahmedabad but grew up in New
    Delhi. Fascinated by the internet, like most youngsters of his age
    are, he soon found out about hacking.

    "First, it was the forbidden fruit syndrome," he says. "Because it was
    forbidden, I wanted to do it, but soon found out that that we Indians
    have no school to learn about security issues. I picked up most of my
    initial knowledge from books."

    "It's pathetic," the teenager says while speaking on the level of
    awareness regarding internet security in the country. "Professionals
    are aware of the dangers in cities like Bangalore, Hyderabad and Pune,
    but you can't say the same for the rest of the country."

    According to Ankit, the threat can be perceived from the fact that at
    least 50 Indian websites are defaced by Pakistani hackers every month.

    In return, Indians hack a paltry 10. We have software experts and
    Pakistanis have security experts. We are good at creating software and
    they are good at hacking them."

    According to Ankit, almost all government websites have been hacked
    and websites of well-known private companies have not been spared. "I
    even identified two of the hackers in Pakistan down to their street
    address and passed on the information to the CBI, but I am not sure if
    they have been able to make any headway."

    But there is a mysterious side to Fadia as well. He claims that in
    November 2001, he was consulted by a classified intelligence agency
    for breaking an encrypted message believed to have been sent by one of
    Osama Bin Laden's men. He was able to break it.

    "One can only expect hacking to increase in the coming months. Our
    lives will be increasingly dependent on the Net giving hackers more
    reason to disrupt our lives."

    -
    ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

    To unsubscribe email majordomoat_private with 'unsubscribe isn'
    in the BODY of the mail.