[ISN] Up With Good Worms

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Tue Apr 22 2003 - 22:23:52 PDT

    By Jim Rapoza
    April 21, 2003

    It's not science fiction. Giant networks of zombie computers are
    poised to unleash massive destruction on the Internet. You've read
    about it right here in eWeek (see "Thwarting the zombies" by Dennis
    Fisher, from the March 31 issue). There are other causes for concern:
    In this space last week, my colleague Timothy Dyck detailed a litany
    of root-level vulnerabilities that came to light in March alone; and
    worm activity has increased tenfold this year.

    But what bothers me most is a strong sense of déjà vu. Every year bad
    things happen for security, calls are made to improve security
    infrastructure and patching practices, and for each step forward,
    there are two steps back. Threats aren't worse because attackers have
    gotten smarter. It's either that system administrators have gotten
    lazier or are overworked due to layoffs or both.

    In most cases, the big security problems you read about every day are
    simply due to crackers taking advantage of old problems in tens of
    thousands of unpatched systems for which patches have been available
    for months or years.

    So what's the solution? I think it's time to use the worms' tactics
    against them and build good worms that fix problems.

    Two years ago I wrote a column about the Cheese worm, which entered
    Linux systems that had a known security hole and then patched the
    systems. As I said at the time, I'm not in favor of vigilante-type
    good worms like Cheese that come out of nowhere. But I do think
    trusted security entities like CERT or SANS could create and use good
    worms very effectively.

    This tactic has been discussed in the security community before, and
    there are some strong arguments against the use of good worms. But in
    the face of zombie networks numbering tens of thousands of machines,
    which could be disabled in a single night by good worms, I'm willing
    to take these criticisms on.

    By far, the most common criticism of good worms is that they would be
    entering systems uninvited and making changes to the system (that's
    hacking!). This is generally known as the "It's my system so stay the
    heck off of it" defense.

    My response to this is that if you haven't protected your system
    against well-known holes that have had fixes in place for months or
    years, then you obviously have abdicated responsibility for your
    system. Your systems are now a threat to others.

    With the deadly SARS virus raging in Asia right now, if I decided to
    fly to Hong Kong, kiss everyone in sight, then cough in crowded
    theatres in New York, I should fully expect to be hauled off to a
    hospital and quarantined. I don't think an "It's my body and I can
    spread disease if I want to" defense would work very well.

    Another argument is that the good worm could make changes to the
    system that could cause problems. This is definitely true. So on one
    side, we have an unpatched system that's been taken over by malicious
    people who could be using it as part of massive attacks to take down
    the Internet. On the other, we have a single, poorly managed system
    that is likely already having problems and may have a few more. Which
    scenario do you think makes for a better Internet?

    Of course, a good worm is still a worm, and another argument says that
    worms are inherently uncontrollable, meaning that good worms will
    cause traffic problems and spread out of control. This is true of most
    worms today, but that's only because no one has designed a legitimate,
    well-coded and peer-reviewed good worm. One can easily envision simple
    controls such as built-in expirations and bandwidth management that
    would limit or eliminate these effects.

    The argument in response is that creating a legitimate, well-coded and
    peer-reviewed good worm takes a lot of time, much too long given the
    speed at which worms spread. My reply: Most worms don't take advantage
    of a newly discovered problem. Most are using security holes that have
    been known for a long time.

    There are some questions that need to be answered. Who would design
    and manage these worms? The government, CERT, vendors or some
    yet-to-be-formed body? Which problems should be addressed by them?
    What's the notification procedure for systems that have been patched
    by a good worm? Does it leave a message for the administrator? None of
    these are insurmountable roadblocks.

    The best course of action is to manage your systems effectively and
    keep them well-patched, hardened and secure against problems. Then you
    won't have to worry about worms in your own systems, just in your
    neighbors'.

    -
    ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

    To unsubscribe email majordomoat_private with 'unsubscribe isn'
    in the BODY of the mail.