[ISN] Hacker causes havoc for websites

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Wed Apr 23 2003 - 21:07:29 PDT

    [There's an old advertising adage about putting a $10 helmet on a $10
    head, it appears BarginHost was skimping on their security, and their
    customers paid the price.  - WK]

    Up to 1,500 websites could have been affected by a recent hack attack.
    The hacker broke into the server of web hosting firm
    bargainhost.co.uk, stealing passwords and defacing websites.

    One of those affected, snowboarding site powderroom.net has lost 7
    months of e-mails, contacts and forums since the site went down last
    week.

    Bargainhost, which looks after around 5,000 websites and has 1,500
    sitting on the affected server, is struggling to cope with the
    problem.

    Poor service

    "Our only advice to customers at the moment is to change their
    passwords," said Technology Manager James Innes.

    Backups of customers website have become heavily corrupted as well and
    the firm is currently manually recreating over 1,000 customer
    accounts.

    Owner of powderroom.net Lucie McLean is unimpressed with the level of
    service received since the incident.

    "They didn't reply to any of my queries personally about what was
    happening and it wasn't until Wednesday that they even acknowledged
    there was a problem - even then they couldn't give any estimate of
    when it would be restored," she told BBC News Online.

    She has decided to move the site to a new host despite paying out for
    two years of hosting with bargainhost.co.uk.

    Her advice for other websites is simple.

    "I know we always get warned to backup data at home but it never even
    occurred to me that I might have to back up what I had stored on their
    servers," she said.

    "I thought they would have had really good security. I reckon people
    should be warned to back up everything - everywhere," she added.

    -
    ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

    To unsubscribe email majordomoat_private with 'unsubscribe isn'
    in the BODY of the mail.