[ISN] Stephen Glass Waits for Prime Time to Say 'I Lied'

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Wed May 07 2003 - 02:15:50 PDT

    Forwarded from: William Knowles <wkat_private>

    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A23059-2003May6.html

    By Howard Kurtz
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Wednesday, May 7, 2003

    Stephen Glass, who had never uttered a public word about his repeated
    fabrications at the New Republic five years ago, is cashing in on his
    notoriety.

    "I lied to the people who were my co-workers and cared about me," he
    told "60 Minutes" in an interview airing Sunday to promote a
    forthcoming novel. "I lied to my family. I lied to my editors. I lied
    to all of the readers, and I lied to the people I was writing about."

    Why the massive deception? "I loved the electricity of people liking
    my stories," Glass told correspondent Steve Kroft. When he would
    describe his work at staff meetings, "I think I confused them liking
    my stories with them liking me. So I did it again. I wanted every
    story to be a home run."

    In "The Fabulist," being published by Simon & Schuster, Glass uses
    only one real name -- his own -- in a fictionalized treatment of how
    he bamboozled the world as a 25-year-old New Republic writer who
    always seemed to have the most colorful scenes and the most perfect
    quotes. Perhaps fittingly, the other characters all have fake names.

    Leon Wieseltier, the New Republic's literary editor, said yesterday
    that "even in his reckoning of his crimes, he seems incapable of
    nonfiction. It's unbelievable. This may be the first novel ever
    written for the sole purpose of avoiding fact-checking.

    "The publisher and the media are compliant in a callow man's attempt
    to profit from some of the worst aspects of American life," said
    Wieseltier. "In the American media, crime is a form of upward
    mobility, because it makes celebrity possible. It's really
    disgusting."

    Charles Lane, the former New Republic editor who fired Glass in 1998,
    said he was stunned "that someone could do what Steve did and cash in
    on it, but I guess that's the way America works these days. If Steve
    were as contrite as he purports to be on national television, the more
    appropriate first step would have been to contact the numbers of
    people at the New Republic who were his close friends and tell them
    individually and personally how sorry he feels.

    "That would have really taken courage," said Lane, now a Washington
    Post reporter.

    Kroft said yesterday that Glass "was contrite and somewhat pathetic.
    So apologetic, incredibly apologetic. He portrayed himself as someone
    who was really sort of hopeless, and wasn't good enough to do this
    without cheating."

    Glass was canned after Lane discovered that he had invented a teenage
    computer hacker, as well as created a phony Web site for the
    fictitious company said to have been penetrated by the hacker. The New
    Republic eventually found that two-thirds of the 41 stories he wrote
    were at least partially fabricated.

    One part of the CBS interview was conducted at Washington's Hyatt
    Regency, where Glass had described a nonexistent computer conference
    involving the made-up hacker.

    In the interview, Glass said that his profile of superlawyer Vernon
    Jordan, which ran in now-defunct George magazine, "contained some of
    the worst fabrications that I wrote. I said that he had behaved
    lecherously toward young women, and I provided anonymous or poorly
    identified individuals to say that about him. . . . I wanted a story
    that I thought would be the perfect story."

    In a New Republic piece about Michael Jacobson, the head of the Center
    for Science in the Public Interest, Glass described in great detail
    how Jacobson would try to wring the grease from his food while dining
    in a Chinese restaurant: " 'His mush makes you quite suddenly lose
    your appetite,' said one of Jacobson's veteran dining companions."

    But Glass admitted that "I never spoke to anyone who dined with him. I
    never spoke to a restaurant that said that happened. . . . No, there
    was no truth to that."

    Glass also made up White House interns, drug users, the "First Church
    of George Herbert Walker Christ" and a "get-naked" room at a
    conservative political conference. He deceived the magazine's
    fact-checkers with forged notes and fake press releases.

    Glass, who went on to graduate from Georgetown Law School and is the
    subject of a forthcoming movie, is one of a number of reporters at
    prominent publications who have been dismissed for journalistic sins.

    Last week Jayson Blair, a young New York Times reporter, resigned
    after lifting an interview from another newspaper about a woman who
    had lost a son in Iraq. In a statement read to the Associated Press,
    Blair said: "I have been struggling with recurring personal issues,
    which have caused me great pain. I am now seeking appropriate
    counseling . . . and I regret what I have done."

    "Communications without intelligence is noise;  Intelligence
    without communications is irrelevant." Gen Alfred. M. Gray, USMC
    C4I.org - Computer Security, & Intelligence - http://www.c4i.org