Re: [ISN] OpenBSD Gets Harder to Crack

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Thu Jun 05 2003 - 01:38:45 PDT

    Forwarded from: Russell Coker <russellat_private>
    Cc: timothy_dyckat_private

    Timothy Dyck wrote in a review of OpenBSD:
    > However, while mandatory access controls do make systems harder to
    > administer, we've found the approach a very powerful defense in
    > tests and would welcome the option to use these techniques with
    > OpenBSD.

    One point you may use to strengthen your arguements for MAC in
    discussions with BSD people is their use in testing software.

    When you write MAC policy for an application using a system such as SE
    Linux that has fine grained controls you get a good knowledge of the
    details of it's operation.  I have discovered many bugs in Linux
    programs through writing SE Linux policy and observing which programs
    try to violate the policy.

    One of the most common bugs I find is applications and libraries which
    fail to close file handles before executing other programs.  I have
    found this in LDAP library code, the PCMCIA cardmgr process, many
    other programs, and even in the kernel itself!  Some of these bugs
    have been fixed because of my work alone, and might otherwise still be
    present and unknown in Linux systems.

    My work on SE Linux is providing benefits for people who will never
    use it though getting some of these bugs fixed.

    Another thing to note is that although administering a system with MAC
    involves more work (and more skill) than a regular Unix system, you
    are not compelled to use it.  Having a MAC system as an option for
    those who want it does not seem to offer any cost.

    -
    ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

    To unsubscribe email majordomoat_private with 'unsubscribe isn'
    in the BODY of the mail.