RE: [ISN] This computer security column is banned in Canada

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Thu Jun 05 2003 - 01:39:25 PDT

    Forwarded from: Tony | AVIEN / EWS <tonyat_private>
    Cc: steveat_private, Robat_private

    There are articles and papers everywhere talking about why Security
    Through Obscurity doesn't work as an effective security measure. It is
    a bureaucratic dream that if only you pretend the problem doesn't
    exist or hide its existence from the general population that the
    problem will go away.

    Do the students have to develop new viruses to learn about viruses-
    no. But, to quote Albert Einstein "You cannot solve the problem with
    the same kind of thinking that has created the problem."

    I think that to develop the next generation of virus defense we need
    people to get into the minds of the virus writers and think like them-
    use their tools, work the way they work. Maybe by doing so they can
    find the chinks in the armor before the bad guys and develop proactive
    tools instead of the reactionary virus defense we currently have.

    Read the article I wrote on this controversial topic:
    http://netsecurity.about.com/cs/generalsecurity/a/aa060303.htm

    Tony Bradley, CISSP, MCSE2k, MCSA, MCP, A+
    About.com Guide for Internet / Network Security
    http://netsecurity.about.com

    Click here to sign up for the weekly Internet / Network Security
    Newsletter: NetSecurity Newsletter

    -
    ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

    To unsubscribe email majordomoat_private with 'unsubscribe isn'
    in the BODY of the mail.