RE: [ISN] This computer security column is banned in Canada (Three messages)

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Thu Jun 05 2003 - 23:06:23 PDT

    Forwarded from: Pete Lindstrom <petelindat_private>

    The existence of articles does not mean that the assertions are true.
    The fact is, we practice security through obscurity every day in the
    security space. We don't divulge what solutions/techniques we use to
    protect our systems; we encrypt meaningless data to make it harder to
    pick out important stuff; we use honeypots to deceive attackers; we
    change port numbers for common services, etc. Heck, even the use of
    passwords is a form of security through obscurity. (Now is where you
    smirk and say "yeah, see where passwords got us..." but there is no
    denying the universal use as a basic form of security, and there
    aren't many people doin something different).

    Security through obscurity gets a bum rap in the security profession
    because it is often an excuse for inaction. I believe it is one of
    many tactical approaches that are useful as part of a strong security
    program as long as people understand its limitations and don't rely on
    it too heavily. Let's face it - we need all the help we can get. If a
    little bit of obscurity helps (and I think it can at least temporarily
    and in specific areas) then use it. Just don't base your entire
    security program on it.

    The next generation of virus defense is already developing - in the
    form of host intrusion prevention and trusted operating systems (yes,
    I mean Palladium). We should be spending our time making them less
    intrusive, more manageable, and more flexible in heterogeneous
    environments. Teaching someone to write viruses is a sexy-cool way to
    get some attention, but logically flawed and distracting as a strong
    way to develop virus defenders. We need to teach people how to detect
    viruses amidst a sea of good processes and understand how they act in
    their attack, payload, and propagation vectors, then teach them how to
    identify the many attack points in software. Why not teach a class on
    how to detect and stop viruses? Because it doesn't have the sexy-cool
    factor, that's why. There is much, much more to security than catering
    to the rock-star coolness of writing a virus that will take over the
    world (eventually one of the students will have to try it). The
    benefits do not outweigh the risks, and there are plenty of
    alternatives that "think differently" and are less risky.

    Pete