[ISN] Linux Security Week - June 9th 2003

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Mon Jun 09 2003 - 22:20:44 PDT

    |  LinuxSecurity.com                            Weekly Newsletter     |
    |  June 9th, 2003                               Volume 4, Number 23n  |
    |  Editorial Team:  Dave Wreski             daveat_private    |
    |                   Benjamin Thomas         benat_private     |

    Thank you for reading the LinuxSecurity.com weekly security newsletter.
    The purpose of this document is to provide our readers with a quick
    summary of each week's most relevant Linux security headlines.

    This week, perhaps the most interesting articles include "OpenBSD Gets
    Harder to Crack," "Quantum Cryptography Stretches 100 Kilometres," "Fear
    Drives Irrational Security Decisions," and "Building Firewalls with
    iptables."

    LINUX ADVISORY WATCH:
    This week, advisories were released for maelstrom, apache, tomcat, kernel,
    wget, file, lprng, cups, ghostscript, kon2, gnupg, squirrelmail,
    xinetd,lprng, lv, and httpd. The distributors include Gentoo, Immunix,
    Mandrake, OpenPKG, Red Hat, Turbolinux, and Yellow Dog.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/forums_article-7394.html

    >> FREE Apache SSL Guide from Thawte <<
    Are you worried about your web server security?  Click here to get
    a FREE Thawte Apache SSL Guide and find the answers to all your Apache
    SSL security needs.

     Click here to download our Free guide:
     http://ads.linuxsecurity.com/cgi-bin/ad_redirect.pl?id=thawte21

    FEATURE: Real-Time Alerting with Snort
    Real-time alerting is a feature of an IDS or any other monitoring
    application that notifies a person of an event in an acceptably short
    amount of time. The amount of time that is acceptable is different
    for every person.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/feature_stories/feature_story-144.html

    * Comprehensive SPAM Protection! - Guardian Digital's Secure Mail
    Suite is unparalleled in security, ease of management, and features.
    Open source technology constantly adapts to new threats. Email
    firewall, simplified administration, automatically updated.

     --> http://guardiandigital.com/cgi-bin/ad_redirect.pl?id=mailnews2

    LINSECURITY.COM FEATURE:
    Intrusion Detection Systems: An Introduction
    By: Alberto Gonzalez

    Intrusion Detection is the process and methodology of inspecting
    data for malicious, inaccurate or anomalous activity. At the most
    basic levels there are two forms of Intrusion Detection Systems that
    you will encounter: Host and Network based.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/feature_stories/feature_story-143.html

     #### Concerned about the next threat?  ####
     #### EnGarde is the undisputed winner! ####

     Hardened Linux Puts Hackers EnGarde! Winner of the Network Computing
     Editor's Choice Award, EnGarde "walked away with our Editor's Choice
     award thanks to the depth of its security strategy..." Find out what
     the other Linux vendors are not telling you.

     http://guardiandigital.com/cgi-bin/ad_redirect.pl?id=newsletter

    +---------------------+
    | Host Security News: | <<-----[ Articles This Week ]-------------
    +---------------------+

    * Cutting Spam Down To Size
    June 6th, 2003

    How many clever or not-too-clever phrases have been written about people's
    feelings concerning spam, that is, unwanted commercial e-mail? We'd like
    to can it, kill it, squash it, fry it and shred it. Yet it still keeps
    popping up in the in-box, mocking us to do something about it.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/privacy_article-7404.html

    * Flexible OS Support and Applications for Trusted Computing
    June 6th, 2003

    Trusted computing (e.g. TCPA and Microsoft's Next-Generation Secure
    Computing Base) has been one of the most talked about and least understood
    technologies in the computing community over the past year. The
    capabilities trusted computing provides have the potential to radically
    improve the security and robustness of distributed systems.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/security_sources_article-7395.html

    * OpenBSD Gets Harder to Crack
    June 4th, 2003

    On the security field, nothing is quite as revealing--or as taxing--as the
    passage of time.  By that measure in particular, the OpenBSD development
    team's OpenBSD operating system stands out.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/vendors_products_article-7387.html

    +------------------------+
    | Network Security News: |
    +------------------------+

    * Quantum Cryptography Stretches 100 Kilometres
    June 5th, 2003

    Communications protected with the complete security of quantum
    cryptography are now possible over an ordinary 100-kilometre fibre optic
    cable, thanks to sophisticated photon detection equipment developed by UK
    researchers.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/cryptography_article-7392.html

    * Security Standards Could Bolster File-sharing Networks
    June 5th, 2003

    Plans to build security features into personal computers to make
    unauthorised digital copying more difficult could backfire by
    strengthening controversial peer-to-peer file-sharing networks, say US
    researchers.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/security_sources_article-7390.html

    * Langa Letter: Easy Encryption
    June 4th, 2003

    A recent change in federal privacy laws is causing huge numbers of IT
    departments to examine the steps they take to keep data secure.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/cryptography_article-7381.html

    * Honeynets are Trapping Hackers
    June 3rd, 2003

    The Honeynet Project began in 1999 as an informal mailing list of a small
    group of individuals, but the group soon realized that no single person
    had all the experience necessary to analyze the information collected from
    attacks.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/intrusion_detection_article-7375.html

    * Building Firewalls with iptables, Part 1
    June 3rd, 2003

    Exposing any system, no matter how briefly, to an untrusted network is
    suicidal. A firewall, while not a 100% secure solution, is absolutely
    vital. The Linux world gives us an excellent firewall utility in
    netfilter/iptables.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/network_security_article-7379.html

    +------------------------+
    | General Security News: |
    +------------------------+

    * Fear Drives Irrational Security Decisions
    June 6th, 2003

    It was bad enough that, before 2001, security companies that had products
    and services to sell generated most of the fear of being hacked on the
    Internet. But after the 9/11 terrorist attacks, things got wonky. Prophets
    of doom appeared at every corner, issuing dire warnings of enormous
    financial losses.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/forums_article-7403.html

    * DOD to Re-emphasize Security
    June 6th, 2003

    The secretary of Defense will soon issue a directive placing a renewed
    emphasis on operational security (OPSEC) throughout the department.  Tom
    Mauriello, director of the interagency OPSEC support staff, said a
    document has been awaiting DOD Secretary Donald Rumsfeld's signature since
    before Operation Iraqi Freedom began that would infuse more funding and
    guidance in the realm of operational security.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/government_article-7401.html