[ISN] IDS: What Lies Ahead?

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Thu Jun 12 2003 - 00:40:20 PDT

    By Dennis Fisher
    June 11, 2003

    A research report saying that intrusion detection systems are outdated
    and useless has angered some vendors who say that argument
    deliberately ignores several key facts and discounts IDS' potential.

    The anger stems from a press release that research firm Gartner Inc.
    sent out Wednesday. The release touts a recent report that concludes
    that IDS systems are a complete failure and recommends that enterprise
    IT managers take whatever money they have allocated for the technology
    and redirect it toward firewalls.

    "Intrusion detection systems are a market failure and vendors are now
    hyping intrusion prevention systems, which have also stalled in the
    marketplace," said Richard Stiennon, research vice president at
    Gartner, based in Stamford, Conn. "Functionality is moving into
    firewalls, which will perform deep packet inspection for content and
    malicious traffic blocking, as well as antivirus activities."

    That assessment is part of Gartner's Information Security Hype Cycle,
    which assigns positions in the cycle to a variety of technologies. IDS
    is among several technologies listed as "sliding into the trough."

    Gartner's conclusions have many IDS vendors up in arms. "They're
    advocating the removal of a layer of defense in-depth. They're saying
    IDS can't get better. They're wrong on two counts," said Martin
    Roesch, founder and CTO of Sourcefire Inc., based in Columbia, Md.,
    which sells an IDS system based on the open-source Snort technology
    that Roesch invented. "That's just ridiculous. They're basically
    saying that the high-level audit function is useless and high-level
    inspection is the only thing you need."

    Other vendors disagree with Stiennon's statements about IDS, but say
    his thoughts on the convergence of security functions in a single
    device are accurate.

    "The statement that IDS is dead and IPS is stillborn, that's all to
    create emotion. We disagree with the statement that there's no value
    in IDS," said Tim McCormick, vice president of marketing at Internet
    Security Systems Inc. in Atlanta, which is in the process of rolling
    out a line of security appliances that combine IDS, firewall and other
    functions. "We built a $240 million business by inventing IDS. But the
    underlying message about convergence is right on. You need all the
    components. It's not whether IDS is better than a firewall. You need
    them all."

    The Gartner report asserts that IDS systems place too many demands on
    networks and IT staffs and require far too much care and feeding to be
    effective. Stiennon says that the new generation of firewalls that
    combine both network and application-level protection are what
    corporate networks really need.

    Roesch dismisses this as hype. "I guess we had the intrusion
    prevention craze and that lasted for about three months and now we
    have intelligent firewalls," he said. "Proxy firewalls are dead. Long
    live proxy firewalls."

    -
    ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

    To unsubscribe email majordomoat_private with 'unsubscribe isn'
    in the BODY of the mail.