[ISN] Linux Advisory Watch - June 13th 2003

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Fri Jun 13 2003 - 01:31:16 PDT

    |  LinuxSecurity.com                        Linux Advisory Watch |
    |  June 13th, 2002                          Volume 4, Number 23a |

      Editors:     Dave Wreski                Benjamin Thomas
                   daveat_private     benat_private

    Linux Advisory Watch is a comprehensive newsletter that outlines the
    security vulnerabilitiaes that have been announced throughout the week.
    It includes pointers to updated packages and descriptions of each
    vulnerability.

    This week, advisories were released for the Linux kernel, eterm, xaos,
    ethereal, atftp, gnocatan, nethack, slashem, cupsys, mod_php, zlib, kon2,
    gzip, KDE, hanterm, pptpd, cups, and lv. The distributors include Debian,
    Gentoo, Immunix, Mandrake, OpenPKG, RedHat, SuSE, Turbolinux, and Yellow
    Dog.

    Last week, I discussed how HIPAA should be viewed as a step in the right
    direction, rather than a burden for U.S. healthcare companies. I received
    a lot of positive feedback from readers who are happy that they now have
    an adequate budget to address security problems. This week, I wanted to
    take a look at BS7799 and ISO17799. BS7799 was first developed by the UK
    Department of Trade and Industry's (DTI) Commercial Computer Security
    Centre (CCSC) and prepared by the British Standards Institution with the
    goal of developing a set of security management standards that can be used
    across many industries. Soon after establishing the BS7799, it was
    submitted to the International Organization for Standardization (ISO).
    After several revisions, BS7799 was accepted and used as a basis for
    ISO17799.

    What is the goal of BS7799 & ISO17799? Each were created with the specific
    purpose of providing an established starting point for organizations to
    develop an information security program. Similar to HIPAA, the '7799'
    standards intend to help an organization maintain strict data
    confidentiality, integrity, and availability. The standards and
    recommendations are written with upper information security management as
    an intended audience. What makes up the standards? Each standard outlines
    organizations security issues, asset classification, personnel security,
    security policy, physical and operational security, access control,
    systems development, business continuity management, and standards
    compliance.

    Organizations have many reasons for wanting to comply with international
    standards. Although one could argue the case that '7799' is incomplete, it
    does accomplish its goals. These standards provide the basic building
    blocks for constructing an information security program in your
    organization.

    Until next time,

    Benjamin D. Thomas
    benat_private

    >> FREE Apache SSL Guide from Thawte <<

    Are you worried about your web server security?  Click here to get a FREE
    Thawte Apache SSL Guide and find the answers to all your Apache SSL
    security needs.

     Click Command:
     http://ads.linuxsecurity.com/cgi-bin/ad_redirect.pl?id=thawte23

    FEATURE: Real-Time Alerting with Snort
    Real-time alerting is a feature of an IDS or any other monitoring
    application that notifies a person of an event in an acceptably short
    amount of time. The amount of time that is acceptable is different
    for every person.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/feature_stories/feature_story-144.html

    * Comprehensive SPAM Protection! - Guardian Digital's Secure Mail Suite is
    unparalleled in security, ease of management, and features. Open source
    technology constantly adapts to new threats. Email firewall, simplified
    administration, automatically updated.

     --> http://guardiandigital.com/cgi-bin/ad_redirect.pl?id=mailnews2

    LINSECURITY.COM FEATURE:
    Intrusion Detection Systems: An Introduction
    By: Alberto Gonzalez

    Intrusion Detection is the process and methodology of inspecting data for
    malicious, inaccurate or anomalous activity. At the most basic levels
    there are two forms of Intrusion Detection Systems that you will
    encounter: Host and Network based.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/feature_stories/feature_story-143.html

    +---------------------------------+

     6/9/2003 - kernel
       Multiple vulnerabilities

       A number of vulnerabilities have been discovered in the Linux
       kernel.
       http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/debian_advisory-3340.html

     6/6/2003 - eterm
       Buffer overflow vulnerability

       A number of vulnerabilities have been discovered in the Linux
       kernel.
       http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/debian_advisory-3341.html

     6/8/2003 - xaos
       Improper setuid-root execution

       A number of vulnerabilities have been discovered in the Linux
       kernel.
       http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/debian_advisory-3342.html

     6/11/2003 - 'ethereal' buffer/integer overflows
       Improper setuid-root execution

       Timo Sirainen discovered several vulnerabilities in ethereal, a
       network traffic analyzer.  These include one-byte buffer overflows
       in the AIM, GIOP Gryphon, OSPF, PPTP, Quake, Quake2, Quake3,
       Rsync, SMB, SMPP, and TSP dissectors, and integer overflows in the
       Mount and PPP dissectors.
       http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/debian_advisory-3349.html

     6/11/2003 - 'atftp' buffer overflow
       Improper setuid-root execution

       Rick Patel discovered that atftpd is vulnerable to a buffer
       overflow when a long filename is sent to the server.  An attacker
       could exploit this bug remotely to execute arbitrary code on the
       server.
       http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/debian_advisory-3350.html

     6/11/2003 - 'gnocatan' buffer overflows, DoS
       Improper setuid-root execution

       Bas Wijnen discovered that the gnocatan server is vulnerable to
       several buffer overflows which could be exploited to execute
       arbitrary code on the server system
       http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/debian_advisory-3351.html

     6/11/2003 - 'nethack' buffer overflow
       Improper setuid-root execution

       The nethack package is vulnerable to a buffer overflow exploited
       via a long '-s' command line option.  This vulnerability could be
       used by an attacker to gain gid 'games' on a system where nethack
       is installed.
       http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/debian_advisory-3352.html

     6/12/2003 - buffer
       overflow in 'slashem'

       The slashem package is vulnerable to a buffer overflow exploited
       via a long '-s' command line option.  This vulnerability could be
       used by an attacker to gain gid 'games' on a system where slashem
       is installed.
       http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/debian_advisory-3353.html

     6/12/2003 - 'cupsys' DoS
       overflow in 'slashem'

       The CUPS print server in Debian is vulnerable to a denial of
       service when an HTTP request is received without being properly
       terminated.
       http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/debian_advisory-3354.html

    +---------------------------------+

     6/8/2003 - mod_php
       Integer overflow vulnerability

       Integer overflows have been fixed in several php functions.
       http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/gentoo_advisory-3338.html

     6/8/2003 - atftp
       Buffer overflow vulnerability

       A buffer overflow has been fixed in atftp.
       http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/gentoo_advisory-3339.html

    +---------------------------------+

     6/6/2003 - zlib
       buffer overflow vulnerability

       Richard Kettlewell has discovered a buffer overflow in zlib's
       gzprintf() function, which provides printf(3)-like functionality
       for compressed files. This update, includs a patch from the
       OpenPKG project, fixes this problem by enabling autoconf tests for
       vsnprintf(3).
       http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/immunix_advisory-3330.html

     6/9/2003 - tetex, psutils, w3c-libwww
       buffer overflow vulnerability

       Richard Kettlewell has discovered a buffer overflow in zlib's
       gzprintf() function, which provides printf(3)-like functionality
       for compressed files. This update, includs a patch from the
       OpenPKG project, fixes this problem by enabling autoconf tests for
       vsnprintf(3).
       http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/immunix_advisory-3344.html

    +---------------------------------+

     6/6/2003 - kon2
       buffer overflow vulnerability

       A buffer overflow in the command line parsing can be exploited,
       leading to local users being able to gain root privileges.
       http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/mandrake_advisory-3329.html

     6/11/2003 - several
       'kernel' vulnerabilities

       Multiple vulnerabilities were discovered and fixed in the Linux
       kernel.
       http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/mandrake_advisory-3348.html

    +---------------------------------+

     6/11/2003 - 'gzip' symlink attack
       info leak

       The GNU Bash based znew(1) shell script tried to prevent itself
       from overwriting existing files on shell redirection by using the
       POSIX "noclobber" shell option, but accidentally forgot to check
       for the results, and in case of existing files, stop further
       processing. This allowed a classical "symlink" attack.
       http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/other_advisory-3347.html

    +---------------------------------+

     6/6/2003 - KDE
       ssl man-in-the-middle attack

       Updated KDE packages that resolve a vulnerability in KDE's SSL
       implementation are now available.
       http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/redhat_advisory-3331.html

     6/6/2003 - hanterm
       multiple vulnerabilities

       Updated hanterm packages fix two security issues.
       http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/redhat_advisory-3332.html

     6/6/2003 - kernel
       advisory updates

       We have retracted two bug fix advisories that affected only the
       S/390 architecture of Red Hat Linux 7.2.
       http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/redhat_advisory-3333.html

    +---------------------------------+

     6/6/2003 - pptpd
       Remote buffer overflow vulnerability

       We have retracted two bug fix advisories that affected only the
       S/390 architecture of Red Hat Linux 7.2.
       http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/suse_advisory-3334.html

     6/6/2003 - cups
       Remote DoS vulnerability

       We have retracted two bug fix advisories that affected only the
       S/390 architecture of Red Hat Linux 7.2.
       http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/suse_advisory-3335.html

    +---------------------------------+

     6/6/2003 - lv
       Privilege escalation vulnerability

       An attackers may be able to gain the privileges of the user
       invoking lv.
       http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/turbolinux_advisory-3336.html

     6/6/2003 - kdelibs
       Privilege escalation vulnerability

       An attackers may be able to gain the privileges of the user
       invoking lv.
       http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/turbolinux_advisory-3337.html

    +---------------------------------+

     6/10/2003 - 'ghostscript' vulnerability
       Privilege escalation vulnerability

       A flaw in unpatched versions of Ghostscript before 7.07 allows
       malicious postscript files to execute arbitrary commands even with
       -dSAFER enabled.
       http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/yellowdog_advisory-3345.html

     6/10/2003 - 'hanterm-xf' vulnerabilities
       Privilege escalation vulnerability

       An attacker can craft an escape sequence that sets the window
       title of a victim using Hangul Terminal to an arbitrary command
       and then report it to the command line.
       http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/yellowdog_advisory-3346.html