[ISN] 'Heads on block' over Comedy Terrorist's royal party stunt

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Mon Jun 23 2003 - 23:26:21 PDT

    http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/this_britain/story.jsp?story=418476

    [Just goes to prove the fact that you could have the BEST security
    controls and experience money can buy, and it can be all fouled up
    with a little social engineering.  - WK]

    By Jason Bennetto
    Crime Correspondent

    Police chiefs responsible for the security blunder at Windsor Castle
    were warned last night by David Blunkett, the Home Secretary, that
    their "heads are on the block" over the débâcle.

    The criticism follows an apology to the Royal Family by Scotland Yard,
    which admitted that it was an "appalling breach of security" to allow
    a comedian dressed as Osama bin Laden to gatecrash Prince William's
    21st birthday party.

    The intruder, Aaron Barschak, 36, got in on Saturday night by scaling
    an embankment, climbing a tree, jumping on to a wall and reaching a
    terrace, the Metropolitan Police revealed. Once inside he was
    confronted by a person helping with the party and taken to a
    checkpoint, but officers failed to ask for a pass. He was arrested
    after he snatched the microphone from Prince William.

    Mr Blunkett said he was "deeply concerned" by the security breach.
    Police gave him a six-page chronology of events leading up to the
    security breach yesterday. He will make a statement about the issue in
    the Commons today.

    He said: "There is no question that ... everyone in every position all
    the way through counter-terrorism forces and royal protection know
    their heads are on the block ... I think we deserve better from those
    who are employed to look after our interests."

    A disciplinary inquiry is also being undertaken into the actions of
    royal protection officers guarding the castle. Questions will also be
    asked about Commander Peter Loughborough, head of the 400-strong Royal
    and Diplomatic Protection Group. The Commander, who took over in
    February, is the 7th Earl of Rosslyn and the only hereditary peer in
    the police service.

    Mr Barschak, a self-styled "comedy terrorist", said his stunt had been
    "unbelievably simple" and he was amazed he had got in. "I would rather
    security gets a big kick up the arse as a result of my actions than
    the whole thing just goes up in smoke," he said. "But Prince William
    is a lovely boy."

    Mr Barschak described how guests had laughed at him as he took centre
    stage, before he kissed Prince William on each cheek and began to head
    towards the bar.

    "The security was just non-existent", he told the Daily Mail. "I was
    carrying a bag which could have had a bomb in it. I was just yards
    away from the Queen and Prince Charles. If I had been a real
    terrorist, the entire Royal Family would have been wiped out."

    He was bailed to return to a London police station next month.

    -
    ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

    To unsubscribe email majordomoat_private with 'unsubscribe isn'
    in the BODY of the mail.