RE: [ISN] Student arrested for allegedly hacking university computers to derail election

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Mon Jun 23 2003 - 23:24:29 PDT

    Forwarded from: "Blair, Paul" <PaulBlairat_private>

    > ``I think he made his point, but you might say he went about it in
    > the wrong way,'' Duran said. ``An e-mail to the webmaster might have
    > sufficed.''

    If this guy made no attempt to contact the people in charge of
    whatever system he compromised, then more power to the people who are
    punishing him.  Unfortunately, many times kids like this try and do
    the right thing, only to be ignored by sysadmins, and their oversized
    egos.

    In the very early stages of my short I.T. career, I ran into the same
    type of situation over and over again where I work. I would find an
    obvious security hole in a critical system, complain, and get at best,
    an apathetic response from whomever was in charge of the system. In
    the end, nothing would ever get done until I myself was put in charge
    of whatever system I was complaining about.

    Now, I find myself in the position of sysadmin. Hopefully I'll be able
    keep my ego in check if ever an outsider reports a vulnerability in
    one of our systems.

    Paul Blair
    I.T. Monkey

    -
    ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

    To unsubscribe email majordomoat_private with 'unsubscribe isn'
    in the BODY of the mail.