[ISN] Be careful: too safe can too easily end up sorry

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Wed Jun 25 2003 - 00:38:43 PDT

    Forwarded from: William Knowles <wkat_private>

    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspaper/0,,1-719525,00.html

    Simon Jenkins
    June 20, 2003

    I am not paranoid. It is just that people out there are trying to
    scare me and I am not sure who they are. Some have Semtex and ricin,
    dirty bombs and dirtier intentions. Others have fragile budgets, turf
    wars and blame-aversion. I know that one is foe and the other friend,
    but their impact on my daily life is increasingly hard to distinguish.

    Britain is on a "high" state of alert against an attack from Muslim
    terrorists. The threat is only one step below "imminent". The security
    services claim to be deluged with material from agents and intercepts,
    suggesting that Britain is a leading target for an al-Qaeda set on
    death and destruction. This group was neither suppressed nor deterred,
    as some promised, by the Afghan and Iraq wars. As others feared, they
    appear no less dangerous.

    Like many journalists, I am given occasional tastes of these threats.
    But neither I, nor any member of the public, has a way of giving them
    weight. We know that a rudimentary ricin plant has been discovered and
    a shoe-bomber caught on a plane out of London. We know that bombers
    attacked Western targets in Bali, Morocco and Saudi Arabia. There must
    be some danger of a repetition in London.

    There is no science of risk assessment. We must rely on those we
    trust, but that depends on trust being plausible. Yesterday the
    Government published its Civil Contingencies Bill. It aims to update
    Britain's emergency responses from a time when civil defence was on a
    par with Boy Scouts, Women's Institutes and Dad's Army. This makes
    sense. Yet if the al-Qaeda threat was as serious as is now implied,
    surely the Bill should have been raced through Parliament a year ago.

    Tony Blair remarked in a grim Guildhall speech last year that
    government must beware of doing the terrorist's job for him. One night
    last February I gather he was warned that next morning he would find a
    massive two-storey concrete barrier round the entire Palace of
    Westminster, protecting it from a car bomb. Nobody had dared
    countermand such a blatant publicity coup for al-Qaeda. Mr Blair had
    to countermand it himself.

    The same week the London Mayor, Ken Livingstone, was summoned to a
    ministerial meeting and told that ministers wanted to stop a Tube
    train in rush hour under the Bank of England with 400 army cadets
    aboard playing dead, to see how long it would take to evacuate them.
    Incredulous transport staff said the answer was easy, it would take
    most of the day and create millions of pounds worth of chaos. Talk
    about doing the terrorist's job for him. Yesterday Whitehall floated
    the madcap idea again, to show "something being done".

    When President Eisenhower left office in 1960 at the height of the
    Cold War, he gave the Western world a remarkable warning. It was not
    against the might of the Soviet Union but against the "unwarranted
    influence . . . of a military-industrial complex" which he had watched
    emerge during his time as soldier and President. With access to the
    vast resources of the State, that complex could lead to "a disastrous
    rise of misplaced power". The warning has echoed down the ages.

    A similar power is emerging today. It is of the "terrorist-security
    complex". It smothers public life in risk-aversion and spends hundreds
    of millions of pounds on buildings, consultants and human protection.
    Downing Street has become a concrete bunker. The entire current
    increase in London police, 1,000 officers, has been diverted to
    counter terrorism.

    Now the complex is acquiring its own political dimension. The Home
    Secretary, David Blunkett, demands new powers by the month. The
    security agencies are being drawn into the open. On Monday the head of
    MI5, Eliza Manningham-Buller, made an astonishing speech for a body
    whose essence used to be discretion and the nuancing of judgment. She
    warned the public that it was "only a matter of time" before al-Qaeda
    launched an attack, which "could be" chemical, biological,
    radiological or nuclear.

    Bizarrely denying "undue alarmism", Ms Manningham-Buller declared with
    all the pomp of her office that al-Qaeda "poses significant new
    challenges for government and society in general". It was capable of
    doing "real harm to our way of life".

    At this point I long for a Joint Intelligence Committee of my own, to
    assess the jumbled signals and other espionage emanating from
    Whitehall. The murmur is that all hell is going to break loose when
    Parliament's two committees on Iraq intelligence complete their
    reports, cross-checked with their US counterparts. It is abundantly
    clear that someone sold Downing Street duff goods about Iraq's weapons
    programme last year. Whatever the conduit, this probably originated in
    highly suspect émigré sources linked to the Iraqi National Congress.
    No 10 may have "cherry-picked" the intelligence - Robin Cook's
    colourful phrase - but there had to be cherries for the picking. Who
    grew them?

    Whitehall agencies are instinctively drawing their wagons into a
    circle. Friendly journalists are briefed. Alarmist speeches are given.
    Up goes the hysteria meter. Hence the concrete barriers creeping
    across London. Hence the ubiquity of police with machineguns. Mr Blair
    is about to win his presidential jet. The terrorist-security complex
    goes where even egotism fears to tread.

    The British citizen is left completely in the dark. The threat may be
    real, but the jockeying for position yields no "news you can use".
    Does Ms Manningham-Buller want me to go to work in a decontamination
    suit or with syringes in my bag? I do not know. Do the past six months
    of stories amount to agencies crying wolf, or should I really avoid
    Heathrow and the Tube and advise all tourists to head home? Of course,
    I want to be safe rather than sorry, but how safe is sensible and how
    sorry is stupid?

    Last week, while No 10 and its feuding agencies were hogging the
    headlines, a 1,600lb car bomb was seized outside Londonderry. It
    probably belonged to the Real IRA and was destined for London, where
    its impact would have been catastrophic. The seizure was the outcome
    of good policing and intelligence. The IRA threat remains real and the
    forces of law and order coped with it: no fuss, no alarmism. That is
    what I call security.

    I have no doubt that the al-Qaeda threat is also real. Muslim
    extremism is ruthless, gives no warning and uses suicide as a means of
    delivery. I expect the Government to protect me from this, as it
    protects me from the all too evident Real IRA. So far I have been
    protected. But that cannot have derived from the relentless
    scaremongering, which rather boosts my sense of insecurity. As Mr
    Blair himself suggests, such scares merely give terrorists the running
    bonus of publicity. They are products of the terrorist-security
    complex.

    Ms Manningham-Buller claims to know of a threat that "challenges
    government and society in general" and would do "real harm to our way
    of life". I do not believe her. AlQaeda commits acts of violence, sets
    off bombs and kills people. But this is not the Cold War. It is not an
    enemy that had enslaved half Europe and threatened the West with
    nuclear winter. Even Whitehall's latest "threat of the week", a
    radiological caesium chloride bomb in Bishopsgate, would kill only
    those next to it and cause a one-in-seven "increased risk of cancer"
    at 200 yards downwind. This is nasty but hardly "massive destruction".

    The weapons at present marshalled against us do not conceivably
    "challenge British government or society" let alone threaten "the
    British way of life". What a miserable view Ms Manningham-Buller and
    her colleagues must have of British democracy and society to think so.
    I have more faith in their resilience, and suspect the motives of
    those who publicly doubt it.

    What threatens the British way of life at present is not terrorism but
    the public response to it. The terrorist-security complex is driving
    forward a hyperbolic, risk-averse, "health-and-safety" culture that
    infuses every British home and workplace, every enterprise and
    relationship. It is dangerous. According to the police, street crime
    in London is now rising again because so much police time and effort
    are being diverted from normal duties. Hyper-safe is unsafe. It
    distorts priorities and confuses leadership.

    I pay my taxes to be kept secure, not to get a lecture on insecurity.
    Last week in Londonderry I got value for money. This week in London
    I am not so sure.

    "Communications without intelligence is noise;  Intelligence
    without communications is irrelevant." Gen Alfred. M. Gray, USMC
    C4I.org - Computer Security, & Intelligence - http://www.c4i.org