[ISN] School district computer network left student records available to public

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Thu Jun 26 2003 - 01:53:27 PDT

    http://www.paloaltoonline.com/paw/paonline/weekly/thisweek/2003_06_25.wire25.html

    by Rachel Metz
    June 25, 2003

    In the heart of Silicon Valley, where companies secure information as
    tightly as a bank safeguards money, some student records on Palo Alto
    school district computers have been as easy to obtain as a dollar bill
    left on a street corner.

    Like leaving a vault open, PAUSD failed to place a number of highly
    sensitive computer files containing student information in a locked
    location on its network. Using a laptop with a wireless card outside
    the district's main office, the Weekly gained access to such data as
    grades, home phone numbers and addresses, emergency medical
    information complete with full-color photos of students and a
    psychological evaluation.

    Unauthorized users could copy many of those sensitive files, as well
    as upload their own files onto one of the district's servers, Fuji,
    the Weekly found. Unlike the majority of the district's information,
    the documents were not password protected.

    The same information was also accessible to individuals using district
    computers within school sites.

    The district has known about some aspects of this vulnerability for
    nearly nine months, but failed to take action until the Weekly
    informed officials of the situation late last week -- a somewhat
    ironic development given the school board's recent adoption of a
    technology-use policy.

    "I don't see this as such a huge news story," Superintendent Mary
    Frances Callan said the day after the district office abruptly shut
    down its wireless network and student information program. The real
    news, she added, was the great progress the district has made to its
    network plans, thanks to new software purchases, planned employee
    training sessions and the technology-use policy.

    However, the availability of such student information is not only a
    breach of said policy, but of federal law governing distribution of
    students' education records.

    District administrators are blaming the security breach on everything
    from bureaucracy to teacher error to grass-root efforts to establish
    wireless networks at school sites.

    "We're not in any way trying to make excuses, but we knew there were
    issues, we knew that there were things that needed to be more secure,"
    Marie Scigliano, PAUSD's director of educational technology and
    information services, said.

    School board President Mandy Lowell was surprised by the amount of
    sensitive data the Weekly was able to access.

    "Unless I missed it no one reported to me that there was a gaping hole
    in security and needed to be repaired and couldn't unless a policy was
    enacted," said Lowell, the parent of three children attending district
    schools.

    "I never heard this was a matter of urgency to accomplish or our
    documents could be printed on the front page of a newspaper," she
    said.

    The Weekly's ability to access student files was called by one
    district employee the biggest security hole in PAUSD's system to date.

    Andrew Hannah, a network administrator for the district, admitted
    security was an afterthought when the first open wireless networks
    were installed at the Jordan and Jane Lathrop Stanford middle schools
    and the district office between 2000 and 2002.

    The district, he said, was more interested in equipment issues than
    securing information.

    "With every subsequent school that we're putting up with wireless,
    security is now part of the pre-thought process," he said, pointing
    out that newer wireless networks at Walter Hays and Juana Briones are
    locked from outside wireless use. A Weekly check confirmed Hannah's
    statement.

    No other schools in the Palo Alto district have permanent wireless
    set-ups.

    The district uses a wide-area network, or WAN, to link computers at
    school sites and the district office.

    There are about 40 servers on PAUSD's district-wide network. Each
    school has two servers: one academic and one administrative. The
    academic server provides access to the Internet, while core school
    information -- such as names, grades and medical information -- is
    stored on the administrative server.

    The district office has access to several other servers, as well as
    those of the individual school sites. One of the district servers --
    PAUSD Resources -- contains a sub-server known as Fuji, which was
    designed to allow authorized personnel to share files.

    Although the server was not intended for high-security documents, the
    Weekly was able to access some of Fuji's contents as easily as opening
    a Microsoft Word file. We found student medical cards listing health
    conditions accompanied by a photo of the child, a psychological
    profile with the student's first and last name, and a file containing
    student addresses, phone numbers and grades. We also able to view the
    district's student information system, SASIxp.

    This same information could also be obtained from Jordan Middle
    School's computer network.

    Such access illustrates the hazards of an open wireless network if
    proper security measures are not enacted.

    Although students and district employees need a password to log on,
    laptops with wireless cards skip this step by connecting directly to
    the system as a guest.

    Gregg Gunkel, security and information systems manager for the Sequoia
    Union High School District, said an open network exposes the district
    to the risk of pranks, viruses and stolen information.

    "I can't imagine that school districts do provide guest access to
    their network," said Gunkel, who added the Sequoia district does not
    leave its wireless nodes open.

    "We have a requirement by the federal government to maintain secure
    networks. Because they're for student use, we have to be careful where
    those networks have access to," he said. "And because of the
    confidentiality of the information in our student-information
    databases, we have to really be sure that's in a really secure mode."

    To test whether the network was accessible by other means, we entered
    a Paly classroom accompanied by a teacher and were able to log on to
    Fuji from a desktop computer without a password.

    "In some ways I guess I shouldn't be too surprised this would be a
    problem too but at the same time I'm sort of flabbergasted that they
    knew about this but didn't make it a priority," Suzan Stewart, Paly
    social studies instructional supervisor, said.

    Our ability to access the network comes a week after the district
    passed a new technology-use policy that took nearly a year to draft.
    Under the terms of that policy, distribution of private or personal
    information -- including home addresses, phone numbers, age, sex or
    other personal information -- over PAUSD electronic-information
    systems is prohibited.

    The district's "Student Handbook" regarding use of Internet and
    district information systems also states users should identify student
    work and images only by first name and initials. No images are allowed
    without parent permission.

    The federal Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) also
    enforces student and parental rights regarding private information,
    placing the Palo Alto district in violation of the law.

    "We're not trying to disregard the law, we're not trying to make data
    available. We have to work through a process with our staff because we
    wanted them to be positive and moving through it. We didn't want to be
    cutting people off," Scigliano said.

    In May, Christopher Grant, a district systems administrator, learned
    it was possible to access the district's Fuji server through the
    wireless network.

    Grant recommended locking down the wireless network, but was told the
    district was waiting for the school year to end and the board to
    approve the technology-use policy.

    "My understanding that what we were planning on doing is taking down
    wireless networks that we could not secure until such time we were
    able to bring on board the new wireless networks or update the old
    ones. My understanding is that has not changed," he said.

    Scigliano said the policy was necessary "in this political environment
    to be able to move to the next step."

    "It's not to say that it's not an important problem, but we find that
    we have to educate our staff to let them know what we're doing rather
    than do it to them -- and it's not like we're trying to risk the
    child, the student information or any of that," she said.

    Callan echoed that sentiment: "We are totally in the process of
    addressing the issues but we address them starting at the policy
    level."

    Despite their stated preference for the slow-and-steady approach, the
    district office's wireless network was completely shut down within
    four hours after the Weekly informed district officials of the breach.

    The next day, Hannah circulated an e-mail to district employees
    stating, "Wireless connectivity to the District Office is unavailable
    due to a security incident. Wireless connectivity will return after
    the system has been upgraded. If you have any questions please contact
    me. Thank you for your patience."

    Questioned about the speed of their reaction, district officials said
    they were going to start maintenance work on the network in a few days
    anyway, and asserted the Weekly's revelation only sped up the process.

    As of press time, the district's wireless network is off. Networks at
    Jordan and JLS middle schools were locked.

    Scigliano and Hannah admitted it's difficult to close a network.

    Though Walter Hays and Juana Briones started out with some protection
    from unauthorized use or abuse, Scigliano said grass-roots parent
    organizations that developed the earlier wireless networks hampered
    the district's ability to standardize technology.  Hannah said they
    were in the process of locking down open wireless nodes at Jordan and
    JLS for about three months now. He added that the new technology-use
    policy forbids people from setting up grass-roots networks at district
    schools.

    Scigliano expressed some frustration over the haphazard method
    wireless networks were installed.

    "The wireless was brought up at Jordan by a group of parents, OK?
    Separate of the district," she said. "So this is what I'm trying to
    explain. It's not to make an excuse," Scigliano said.

    She added that teachers were not trained appropriately to use the
    computer systems.

    "A year ago, some of the documents were in print documents and
    (teachers) never ended up transferring, sharing files, doing any of
    those types of things," Scigliano said. "Folks have the capability now
    so they're doing some of these things, without following the pieces in
    place of whether they should be doing it or not, because it's just
    normal -- it's considered 'A Job That I Need to Do,' OK?"

    Scigliano said holes in the PAUSD system should be patched by the end
    of the summer.

    "Give us a week and we'll see what you can get on and what you can't
    get on," she said.

    -
    ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

    To unsubscribe email majordomoat_private with 'unsubscribe isn'
    in the BODY of the mail.